What is this thing?

teleflux

Scout
Nov 29, 2020
Mays Landing
matthunsberger.com
Does anyone know what this is?

It's buried in the ground behind the Gristmill at Batsto.

IMG_2624.jpeg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It may have to do with the thermal heating of the mansion. It is heated by the heat of the earth. It is a pretty elaborate system. In any event, I am guessing.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It looks like a cast iron shitometer cover with a nearby witness post so that it can be found more easily when the leaf cover is heavy, as is the case in this photo.
When the lid rises above grade, it serves as an indicator that the s%itter is full. Simple and effective technology. :)
Scott, is the "O" a long O or a short O in shitometer. Asking for a friend. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting, I didn't know they had a geothermal heat exchanger loop in the mansion. It looks like it was installed in 2008. In 2020 they put out a bid for a contractor to convert it from an open to a closed loop and make some updates - not sure if that's been completed yet. The bid has some more photos of the system in the exhibits at the end.
I was there in 2009. I have other photos and even a video of Jessica and I climbing the stairs to the very top of the mansion. A nice view up there.

Reactions: teleflux and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Shit-O-Meter is close. Apparently, it's the air chamber of the "Hydraulic Ram". I showed my wife the photo and she knew exactly what it was and directed me to this video: YouTube
It gave me pause that when Scott first mentioned it, that people were giving his post the thumbs up, like "yeah, they are common, and I understand what that is".

Reactions: teleflux