What NOT to bring backpacking

Matthewscull

May 31, 2015
Galloway, NJ
Hey everyone,
I am hoping to gather opinions on the things you might leave at home in favor of a lighter weight backpack. Assume that the trip would be for 2-3 nights, in a spring, summer or fall season. My goal is to shed more of my own pack weight to reach 25lbs or less, so any ideas are welcome...all the way from the pack itself to food/water carried and all gear in between.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess the best thing to do is evaluate after each hike what you did not use and make adjustments accordingly. At the same time you may think about what you wished you had and decide if adding that and removing something else will make things lighter.

I guess you really need to have three plans for each season you mentioned. Maybe just two actually. Spring and fall are pretty much the same.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
considering you didn't say what you're taking how can we suggest what to leave home ;) for 3 days i can get down to 12lb at 40
degrees . whiteblaze.net is a good site to start at. do you hammock or tent? i hammock, but go to ground with dog . she's gotten too big :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hey everyone,
I am hoping to gather opinions on the things you might leave at home in favor of a lighter weight backpack. Assume that the trip would be for 2-3 nights, in a spring, summer or fall season. My goal is to shed more of my own pack weight to reach 25lbs or less, so any ideas are welcome...all the way from the pack itself to food/water carried and all gear in between.

An awful lot depends on where your going; how about some clues :D

A pretty good blog at the link, to a section on your question that may give you some ideas.

http://briangreen.net/2013/07/eight-ways-you-could-carry-less-gear.html

Last edited: