What season is the most colorful on the rivers?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'd say Autumn.

Near the Wading River.

2997100983_e52e7e4f17_b.jpg

Every season is colorful on the Mullica! Some days it changes every minute with the sky and wind. Colorful reflections on the oily, black / gunmetal backdrop of the river can get my interest in a heartbeat. It can be surene one moment, and totally changed the next. It can reflect the moon and sky or portray raw nature at its whim. I've always been a bit more fond of the raw power of the Autumn sky, with the swamp maple's pinks and sweet gum's yellows in contrast to the white cedar's greens and greys. But then again, Summer has some fine sights as boats cut through the Guinness colored water, albeit, noisily. Come to think on it, Spring has all the green colors of promised renewal with nature's Life force in full swing. And Winter surely shows the the ice covered misteries and severity of extremes. Yes I like the colors of the Mullica. (But, what was the question?)

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Okay, here's two questions, kayakmac:
[BTW, really nice post.]

1. What is the red groundcover in 46er's attractive photo, above?

2. You said pink for the swamp maples. The standard references say red. Tell me precisely? I don't want to get it wrong, when she picks up three leaves and puts them into his pocket . . . could ruin the whole ambience of the scene. :)

Glo

1 - Looks like Low bush blueberry (possibly near Hawkens Bridge) - good eats but hard on the back as the're only knee high!

2 - It's various shades of red including some fantastic florescent pinks! It depends on the season, weather, sunny versus cloudy and the individual tree! (And what type brush Jack frost was using!) They usually don't last that color too long. The yellows go from pale to intense gold. But there are all kinds of colors, textures and perceptions to see.:)

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
my favorite picture of the Mullica for any season is when there's a dead calm and the river reflects everything perfectly, I always wanted to go kayaking on a night when there's a full moon and just break the plane of the water.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
1 - Looks like Low bush blueberry (possibly near Hawkens Bridge) - good eats but hard on the back as the're only knee high!

2 - It's various shades of red including some fantastic florescent pinks! It depends on the season, weather, sunny versus cloudy and the individual tree! (And what type brush Jack frost was using!) They usually don't last that color too long. The yellows go from pale to intense gold. But there are all kinds of colors, textures and perceptions to see.:)

Thank you. Just what I needed. You've got a good eye for color! I'm hoping to see them myself in October, but my story can't wait that long. :)

Glo

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Im a sucker for Fall. I like the trees, the cool air, better stars, good campfire weather, Octoberfest beers in season, hot food, good brandy, warm sleeping bags.. etc.