What to see near Whitesbog this weekend?

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Hi all. This weekend there's the Piney festival at Whitesbog, and I've never been.
It's about an hour drive from home, so I wanted to make a day of it.
What areas would be good to drive to?
I have an Outback and she gets around well, when I use the go-arounds :)
Devil's Hairbrush is out there, but I'm not sure if it's accessible or legal to go. How about Pakim Pond?

I've been told Hidden Lakes is off limits, so I won't be going there.
I've been to Webbs Mills, to the Nature boardwalk, and to Popcorn petting zoo, around those parts.
Might visit the Pinelands Center at Mt Misery and Pomeroy's Corners just to see what I can see.
Any recommendations are welcome. I don't mind a hike, but I'm leaving the mountain bike at home.
Thanks.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
I’m heading to the Pinelands Center at Mount Misery, then down to Pomeroy’s Corners and the Devil’s Hairbrush, back around to Pakim’s Pond, then heading to Whitesbog for the what-have-you.
I should he at the Pinelands Center at around 9:30am. I’ll DM you my phone.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
This turned out well. The Pinelands Center is closed, but Devil’s Hairbrush was beautiful, and very easy to reach on well-maintained sand roads., a short drive from Pomeroy’s Corner. I then took a roundabout way to Pakim Pond, and the roads were all good except for the aptly named Muddy Road, which didn’t give me any trouble. There are no go-arounds, but the ruts are easy to see and to avoid in a mildly raised vehicle like my Outback. The Pond was a bit of a letdown after the beauty of Devil’s Hairbrush, so I headed to Whitesbog Village.
The Piney fest was rather mild. The musicians hadn’t set up by noon, so I headed home with some cranberry hot sauce and salsa. You’d think they’d have more blueberry products, given the history. They could have used a food truck or two. I guess the big one was at Albert Hall a few weeks ago, which I had to miss due to my niece’s birthday. Hopefully I can catch it next year.

Reactions: stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I was at Piney Saturday earlier in the morning but there was really not much going on. It was rather disappointing. They should have hired the music act on-and-off for the whole day instead of having them start at 1PM.

Reactions: TommyP