Whats dis?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qmzc418sx6q3&scene=38103662&lvl=2&sty=b

does anyone know what the square structure in this photo is? I was on the trail just north of it (spin the screen south if it comes up north)today and did not see it from the trail.the small trail leading to the clearing south of it was basically gone and it was so hot that I didn't want to do anymore bushwacking.I was bushwacking the plains today and thought I was going to boil in my own skin it was so nasty out there.I am going back to see what this is.The area is plains and I thought it would be visible from the trauil north of it but it wasn't.I think it's probably a deer stand with the lane of fire stretching north to the bait clearing at the end.Would explain the small trail coming out at the bait pile so to lay down bait without disturbing the stand area.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice find Al. I suspect it has something to do with shooting because of the long cleared section. Obviously, that could also be for hunting to get a clear shot.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was there is 2006 but there was less disturbance. So it appears it has been in use fairly recently or still may be in use.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Al,
On several occasions I have come across dug outs in the plains. Due to the trees diminutive size and being unable to support conventional deer stands, hunters make use of dug outs in those areas. They are usually a few feet above ground with a roof, they kind of remind me of sunken duck blinds. I'll see if I can find a photo of one from the plains. I remember finding one in that area before but I don't know if that is the same one.

Here you go. this one was on the other side of 72 in the plains. It is hard to put it in perspective...it is about 50% underground.
Westplains_12-03-06_022.jpg

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is real thick in there Al. I just don't think its hunting territory. Bear and I were out that way. Its very high, actually as high as Forked River Mountain. Perhaps a couple wise guys cleared it to put down a lawn chair and be able to view the sunrise or sunset. My hats off to them.

Where did you park? Were you alone? Be a good idea to let me or Guy know when you go out that far alone on a hot day. I tell Guy when I'm in hard-scrabble area.

If I'm around, I'll go with you.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is real thick in there Al. I just don't think its hunting territory. Bear and I were out that way. Its very high, actually as high as Forked River Mountain.

Bob, the areas that I've seen these dug outs where as thick, if not thicker than that area. I think the thought is if you clear a path near the dug out, the deer will use it. In every instance I've seen the dug outs, they were near a deer path that had been cleared for easier passage, then to a cleared spot for baiting. The dug out in the picture above was taken in this area as I recall. I got there on my hands and knees mostly.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.81320690291838&lng=-74.40764039754867&z=19&type=h&gpx=

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, the areas that I've seen these dug outs where as thick, if not thicker than that area. I think the thought is if you clear a path near the dug out, the deer will use it. In every instance I've seen the dug outs, they were near a deer path that had been cleared for easier passage, then to a cleared spot for baiting. The dug out in the picture above was taken in this area as I recall. I got there on my hands and knees mostly.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.81320690291838&lng=-74.40764039754867&z=19&type=h&gpx=

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Seems to be a lot of trouble to go through....then maybe again they like the challenge. The place Bear and I went was also on our hands and knees, and tough even at that. I can remember having to stop, on my knees, breathing heavy, and deciding just what the hell I was gonna do next. There seemed no easy way foward at all.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I tried to go through that type of woods once before. It just tears at your clothes and skin so bad it makes it very uncomfortable. It was pollen season also and by the time we gave up and made it back to where we started, we were so dusty and coated with pollen we hated to get in the car.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It is rough going. I like to get out there because you really feel as though you are in an area nobody goes...then you find a dug out:rolleyes: Actually, I really don't think the hunters are getting in there other than some cleared deer path to make it to the dug out. The rest is truly no mans land.

I am curious to see what that thing is that Al found. It could turn out to be not a dug out at all, it just seems to make sense to me. I remember going up on top spring hill one early morning and hearing the deer rutting in the distance, it was echoing over the rolling plains behind the hill. I think the deer feel well protected in there during hunting season. Someone who hunts that area would know better than I would.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That is real thick in there Al. I just don't think its hunting territory. Bear and I were out that way. Its very high, actually as high as Forked River Mountain. Perhaps a couple wise guys cleared it to put down a lawn chair and be able to view the sunrise or sunset. My hats off to them.

Where did you park? Were you alone? Be a good idea to let me or Guy know when you go out that far alone on a hot day. I tell Guy when I'm in hard-scrabble area.

If I'm around, I'll go with you.

39.79276° N
74.42414° W

this is where I parked Bob.I had already done quite a bit of bushwacking and that was my faurthest point and I was wore out and half boiled.I was looking for a stand sticking up above the trees but Jeffs idea sounds plausible.I have found holes with seats in them myself but never with a hooch built over the top like that.I do plan on going back out there to check unless someone beats me to it now and posts pics.
I appreciate the offer.I have your cell,don't know your hours you work but I will give you a call.would have been nice to have someone as equally insane along:) I love that country,it is some of the wildest the Barrens have to offer.It will tear you up but there are absolutely no briars in that stuff.I was walking a little known patch of plains just west oWarren Grove and found a small foot trail out along a ridge and went looking for views and found where someone had carted a cedar skeleton out there and dug a hole and put the tree in and screwed steps in it like hunters use.The trees were maybe 6 or 7 ft tall and the tree got you head maybe 10 or 12 ft off the ground.it was awesome and would have made a nice spot for a boy scout style observation tower. If it hadn't of been for a few planes and the irritating noise from the bombing range I could have been in a wilderness.Some of those roads out there I used to drive with my smaller suzuki in areas are a little too tight for this one or maybe they've gotten tighter in the 5 years or so since I had been in that area. I took a few pics but they turned out bad because of the lighting and I was using a camera I had never used before.There is a very nice view at the zigzag north of the coords I put here.i park there occasionally,a view of Coyle field to the north,otherwise very wild.
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
39.79276° N
74.42414° W

this is where I parked Bob.I had already done quite a bit of bushwacking and that was my faurthest point and I was wore out and half boiled.I was looking for a stand sticking up above the trees but Jeffs idea sounds plausible.I have found holes with seats in them myself but never with a hooch built over the top like that.I do plan on going back out there to check unless someone beats me to it now and posts pics.
I appreciate the offer.I have your cell,don't know your hours you work but I will give you a call.would have been nice to have someone as equally insane along:) I love that country,it is some of the wildest the Barrens have to offer.It will tear you up but there are absolutely no briars in that stuff.I was walking a little known patch of plains just west oWarren Grove and found a small foot trail out along a ridge and went looking for views and found where someone had carted a cedar skeleton out there and dug a hole and put the tree in and screwed steps in it like hunters use.The trees were maybe 6 or 7 ft tall and the tree got you head maybe 10 or 12 ft off the ground.it was awesome and would have made a nice spot for a boy scout style observation tower. If it hadn't of been for a few planes and the irritating noise from the bombing range I could have been in a wilderness.Some of those roads out there I used to drive with my smaller suzuki in areas are a little too tight for this one or maybe they've gotten tighter in the 5 years or so since I had been in that area. I took a few pics but they turned out bad because of the lighting and I was using a camera I had never used before.There is a very nice view at the zigzag north of the coords I put here.i park there occasionally,a view of Coyle field to the north,otherwise very wild.
Al

That is really cool Al....when Bear and I went we walked up the Plains Branch from the road below, and came out right close to where you were. I remember being surprised by seeing a short-leaf pine that was tall for the area there. When you look at the topo, I expected to see across a vast valley...t'was not to be though. Yes, you and I will have to get back there soon.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I revsited the spot this thread is about today.This time i found the trail that was showing on my gps NJGIN aerials,a trail that does not show on black and whites or google earth.perhaps it's too new but it didn't look it,I just think these aerials are the bomb.so far all the maps I have used have been dead on,better calibrated then my google maps seem to be.In any case Jeff was partiall right.The clearing does appear to have been a bait pile since this object definitely was a hunting blind facing the clearing(no bait in evidence) the thing is no longer used and the wind has ripped the roof off.It is not a hole but built on the ground and is about 4.5 ft high and about the same square.it is made out of yellow styrofoam painted green on the outside for camo.the roof laying to one side wis corrugated tim and painted green for camo.Inside this dilapidated box is a metal chair seemingly in good shape with a red air filled cushion I was going to take but upon flipping it over had a big Coorc beer advertisement on the other side.Not being a beer fan and definitely not a Coors fan i left it for one of you beer buffs out there to go and retreive.A really nice woods cushion it is.The trail is almost impossible to see from the old sand road south of the box,i passed it several times when i was boiling.today soak and wet from rain and much cooler I noticed it on the second pass,a very faint trail and hard to believe i detected it on the aerial.I hope the hunterused some camo in front of it because even an idiot of a deer would have seen the cave like entrance yelling at him.
My camera went to camera heaven and my old photographer has taken work elsewhere so no pics.will be getting a new camera soon though the quality of my photographs will pale in comparison.Just imagin a styrofoam box 4.5 by 4.5 by 4.5 with corrugated tin on top.that will be a real mess next fire:-(
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
All, this map was made by Guy. It was from the Warren Grove Wildfire PBX trek in October 2007. The photo below the map was taken at Xeric.

map.jpg

IMG_1308.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
actually those trees look too tall for what I'm thinking but after three years I'm sure most of those spinly dead pine have fallen down but then again it won't take but a few years to grow another crop just as tall as the ones shown there.I have to get out into that area to check it out.probably next thursday.
Al