Whats going on at hawkins bridge?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Just rode by Hawkins bridge campsite today ,hadn't been by it in several months.Most of the big trees in the campground area and along Hawkins bridge road have been cut down and there are stumps everywhere.Mostly big oaks but a few big pine as well.I'm sure the state has an excuse but I"d bet theres a dollar in there that was made somewhere.I take it they are not opening the campsite back up,who wants to camp in a clearcut.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I think this might be the up and coming trend for the the Safety Sallys that think branches falling from tall trees are a hazard to campers. I can't recall were else I saw maintenance and grooming that made me stop and wonder - Who thought that clearing land like this was a good idea for a camp area?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
First time I ever looked upon a clearcut as an improvement. Those were healthy trees.Looks as if they want it to be another Bodine Field

Are you sure it was a clearcut? Others may not agree ;)

Its been going on for a while in many areas, I think it might be the buzzzz they get from the saws.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My guess it's a liability issue. Two people were killed in 2011 in NJ state campgrounds by falling tree limbs. One was at Atsion.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...er-tree-falls-on-tent-in-s-jersey-campground/
The other at Bull's Island
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Tree-Falls-Camper-Dies-New-Jersey-Bulls-Island-124653924.html

I have been waterfowl hunting around the also closed Goshen Pond campsite for the last few months and have noticed very little progress. An April re-opening seems unlikely.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Lets turn the barrens into a desert.No fear of falling tree lawsuits there.I would have thought trimming dead limbs would have sufficed.No shade at hawkins bridge.I wouldn't want to camp there in July.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We can be pretty certain it is a safety issue. Things are really getting out of hand. This country is doomed.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't know about the population at large but I generally check things like widder makers overhead before setting up a tent.Does no one except any form of personal risk whatever anymore? Get dead tree insurance then.Why do they call it life insurance when you have to die to get it?Can anyone guarantee life?perhaps but I don't think he was an insurance agent.
PS
I got a briar scratch today in Wharton.Thats it,I'm sueing the state!

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
My guess it's a liability issue. Two people were killed in 2011 in NJ state campgrounds by falling tree limbs. One was at Atsion.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...er-tree-falls-on-tent-in-s-jersey-campground/
The other at Bull's Island
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Tree-Falls-Camper-Dies-New-Jersey-Bulls-Island-124653924.html

I have been waterfowl hunting around the also closed Goshen Pond campsite for the last few months and have noticed very little progress. An April re-opening seems unlikely.

I hadn't heard about that. Sad. The woods are no place to be during high winds, and at 60 mph I most definitely would have packed up and gotten the hell out of there.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thats why it is always a good idea to have a root cellar or some type of temporary shelter built into the ground in case of hurricanes or high winds or tornadoes.I would at least head into a pitch pine lowland area where the trees would cut some of the wind but there would be no trees big enough to kill you if they fell on you.You could go to the plains but you'd probably get blown away there.Ten foot high plains would probably be a nice shelter in really bad winds unless it was a tornado,then start digging.