What's next for the store that brought generations of Pineys together?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
As part of a wildlife management elective I had at Cook College in 1980 that was taught by Len Wolgast, I had to work a day on a deer check station.
I picked Buzby's because I was familiar with it as a stop when I road enduro type motorcycles in the 70's. We would wheel into Griffin's across the street for fuel and then go into Buzby's for sodas and snacks.

The other reason I picked Buzby's was that I knew it was going to see plenty of action on the opening day of Six Day with all the pines deer clubs in the area. I wasn't disappointed. The action was steady all day and I assisted with leg tagging and aging the deer. Back then, Buzby's was still a general store selling groceries and other goods. . It was like going back in time for me because I grew up in a town with a general store that I spent a lot of time in when I was kid. That store didn't close until I was in my 40's and the owners' son is still the Mayor of that town.

It is sad to see Marilyn Schmidt winding down and I truly hope that an altruistic buyer is found that could keep it going so that others can enjoy what generations have enjoyed before she came along to save it.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I mentioned this before so some may remember. I have been in that store one time in my life and that was around 1975 when the train would still go through. We went in to buy a soda and saw kids taking bottles off the shelf and drinking from them and putting them back. Never went in again.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We used to go when they served breakfast there. It was a nice stop on the way into the pines or down the shore.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was looking over the 1940 census tonight and found the Buzby census. His home in 1940 was valued at a whopping $1500. He would roll over in his grave if he knew what she is trying to get for it now. I circled his home value and his age.

Buzby.jpg

buzby1.jpg

Last edited: