What's on Your List?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I hope one of them is to chip in and support Ben as he transitions to a dedicated server at a new colocation facility in New York. He is going to need some hardware type items, and he should not bear this cost alone, considering all that he gives us.

He gives us a site to share our interest in the Barrens without ads or annoying pop ups. He moderates it to keep the riff-raff out, and he keeps it clean and clutter free. Where else can you find a site like this, that does all of that for you, and yet asks for nothing in return?

So I was more than a little disappointed to see that no one (except Guy via PM) responded to the other post in the Site News and Games Forum. I would guess that we have 50 to 100 active members here and many lurkers. If most of them would pledge just $5 or $10, or even $15, then Ben could get what he needs and keep the site the way it is, which is the way you and I like it. So lets hear you pledge it. Show Ben your support........bob

I hope one of them is to chip in and support Ben as he transitions to a dedicated server at a new colocation facility in New York. He is going to need some hardware type items, and he should not bear this cost alone, considering all that he gives us.

He gives us a site to share our interest in the Barrens without ads or annoying pop ups. He moderates it to keep the riff-raff out, and he keeps it clean and clutter free. Where else can you find a site like this, that does all of that for you, and yet asks for nothing in return?

So I was more than a little disappointed to see that no one (except Guy via PM) responded to the other post in the Site News and Games Forum. I would guess that we have 50 to 100 active members here and many lurkers. If most of them would pledge just $5 or $10, or even $15, then Ben could get what he needs and keep the site the way it is, which is the way you and I like it. So lets hear you pledge it. Show Ben your support........bob

Bob:

When I saw Ben this past Friday, I suggested just such a scenerio as you have laid out. He indicated that he viewed the site as a hobby and he would prefer people to give money to organizations that support, promote, and protect, the Pines. However, beyond any such donations, I would be more than happy to kick in some money to aid Ben and support this website.

If you want folks to do something like this, you need to list an address or some vehicle to collect the funds and then get them to Ben. Let us know how you want to handle this!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thank you Jerseyman. You are a gentleman and a scholar. And yes, Ben did mention that you spoke to him about it and that you were willing to chip in. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that.

Ben has always been reluctant to ask for money. It goes against his principles. But the need is there if he is to upgrade and advance the website. I was able to pin him down this time and force him to accept a contribution. I feel good being able to help. Thats the one factor Ben does not (and logically cannot) consider from his point of view.

In Ben's post in the News Forum, he asked that those who want to help send him a private message. I'm sure that is so that his address remains non-public. He'll pass it out to those that send one.

If people are reluctant to do it that way because they want to remain anonymous, send me or Guy a PM, and we'll take care of it one way or another.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Several years ago when Ben was moving the site I offered to help more than once but he never took me up on it. The offer is still good, count me in, just let me know where to send the check :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
All, I know that several of you sent Ben a PM. I don't want to be seen as a traffic cop or "counter'. Tain't my style. So I'll leave this thread be now. Final word is; if you want to help, send Ben a PM. Thanks all. Even if you cannot give, I'm glad you at least know about it.