Whats the possibility??

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Whats the possibility of Timber Rattlers already being active right now?? I will explain the reason for my question a little later on, after some replies.

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
I can't see why they wouldn't be....Took this pic three days ago..Fence lizards... saw several that day.
IMG_1690 (1024x683).jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There have been at least two photo's posted already of snakes on the move so I don't see why Rattlers would not be.

Guy

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
OK, then, thats what I kinda thought. Seems as though I more than likely had my first encounter with one today. I was given the "warning", which I heard and froze in my tracks. I was given another warning, this time I realized it was in a pile of leaves not more than 2 feet from my left ankle. It was more like a lethargic (sic) rattle (Can't really think of a better way to describe it). As if it just woke up and was saying "keep moving dude, I won't bother you if you do". I obliged and went on my way back to my vehicle.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It may have been a Pine Snake also. They do the same thing by hitting leaves with their tail end to try and scare you.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
A rattlesnakes rattle is LOUD. There is not really like a slight rattle by them either, its either full bore or nothing. A rattlesnake rattle is loud enough that you would hear it from 100 feet away or more. Also they are really unlikely to rattle unless its super warm or if you almost step on them. I would say unless you saw it then it was probably another species of snake, many of them rattle their tail which would sound like a rattlesnake to someone who hasn't exp. the actual rattle. Think more of cicada's in the morning in terms of a loud noise. Lastly rattlesnakes in the pine barrens wake up late, I won't get into why that is too much but I would say your chances of crossing paths this time of year would be about <1%...unless your on a den. Also given your description of the encounter a rattlesnakes rattle would probably flat out scare the piss out of if you based on your reading. It would have been loud as anything. Two years back I was tracking a rattlesnake in the barrens the pulled my body up onto a slight berm with the aid of a pine tree. Once I got my balance on the berm I heard a 'wooosh' and then the rattle and I instinctively jump about 4 feet back and down the mound. The 'woosh' was it striking at my leg, forunately I had leg protection on. Taught me a valuable lesson when tracking rattlesnakes, always probe the ground first, especially when you could encounter a snake in the ambush(feeding) position next to a tree/log.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The fear of snakes, particularly rattlesnakes is fairly unwarranted. The experience I listed above is rare and a situation in which I got myself in because I was near a den while tracking and had slight loss of focus. Seeing a rattlesnake is really a symbol of the woods being wild. They simply don't occur/survive when people encroach, due to their huge home range (up to 9 miles) and liking for deep thick woods.

Reactions: joc

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have only seen one rattlesnake in the pines myself. It was right in the middle of a trail maybe a mile from Carranza. This was a long time ago, maybe 1995? I know nothing about snakes and figured this was just a harmless one, so I tossed a small stick to startle it. The stick landed next to it and the snake attacked it, rattling away. Man, that scared the %#$^ out of me! :D

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I've seen pine snakes do the fake rattle. I think I recall a black rat snake doing a fake rattle once as well. It is amazing how well they pull this off. I came across a BIG rattler once that gave me a very loud rattle. I think my legs were already backing me up before my brain told them to.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I'm glad I got the responses I did. After thinking about it, and reading the responses, I'm leaning towards the Pine snake. The buzz I heard must of been it's tail on the leaves. Unbelievable how well that can scare the crap outta you!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It still was a nice encounter. It is always interesting to run into them.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Corn snake, racer, pine, black rat will all rattle there tail. The corn and pine normally will only do this if you very close....the racer tends to do it a bit quicker.

Like Jeff mentioned a real rattle by a rattlesnake will cause you body to move before you brain even thinks about it.