When's a good time to avoid snakes

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
Northern Brown Snake , to us "Old School " guys aka a DeKay snake . Perfectly harmless , very gentle . Actually not seen often in the pines , usually much more common outside the Pines . Can be found in suburban , even urban settings .You can actually find them in Philly ! :)

joc is correct. Garter snakes have a yellow stripe running down each side of their bodies.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
image.jpg

Here's another shot...oh and what is this? A catepillar?

image.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
your the first then.I have heard people claim they can fight better when their drunk which isn't true but they feel no pain so till they sober up they think they won but i have never heard anyone claim they get smarter when drunk.your the first:)

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I was half joking but there is a level of drinking were you perform better at certain things. Its just being drunk enough to take the edge off, but still coordinated to perform, fine line.

Upon closer look, Joe is right, brown snake. Was this is camden county, i've actually never seen on in SJ but they are common in camden and philly believe it or not.

Reactions: joc

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was half joking but there is a level of drinking were you perform better at certain things. Its just being drunk enough to take the edge off, but still coordinated to perform, fine line.

Upon closer look, Joe is right, brown snake. Was this is camden county, i've actually never seen on in SJ but they are common in camden and philly believe it or not.
I used to catch brown (dekay) snakes as a kid.They are not common in the barrens but down here near the bay in richer soil you will find them under things where the ground is moist.Near haleyville i had a spot at my uncles as a kid I used to catch a lot of them along with worm snakes.yes they do even live in cities.

Reactions: joc

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Al, a few friends found them down your way once. Your right I think they do like richer, darker soils. They apparently are common in empty lots in camden and along the river.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have found them in Millville at an old fell apart factory that has been cleared out now and their building condos there.the tiles had fell off the roof in piles along the river bank and these tiles could be flipped and dug through and browns could be caught sometimes five or six in an hour.

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ

Hi Chris , I thought it was a garter @ 1st too , but accidentally clicked on "enlarge ". I've never seen one in the Pines .We have them up here in Monmouth Co. Very common up in No. Jersey , where i grew up .
Joe

Tgeorge

Scout
Apr 12, 2013
I hate snakes and was thinking the cold might lower my chance of meeting one. I went fishing in early summer and found a rattle snake along the water edge. You would of thought I saw a ghost the way I ran out of there!

Its NEVER a good time to avaoid snakes. They are the quintesscence of beauty - right along with roses, etc.

Reactions: woodjin