Where is the biggest pine tree?

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
The largest pitch pine I found was 72†dia. 3’ from the ground
I also measured some other trees as sassafras 38â€Âwhite oak 91†& red oak at 87â€Â. All the trees are on my property in Nugentown and all the large trees are neat the property lines or corners.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
The biggest pine tree I ever saw is next to the church (old one) in the City of Burlington. The pine cones are huge. I never measured it, but will next timeI pass that way. It's to the left of the church and adjacent to the road.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So how was the rest of your day out there Guy? I forgot to tell you we did a PBX hike in that area. We started at Martha and followed the river upstream on the western bank..............bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
So how was the rest of your day out there Guy? I forgot to tell you we did a PBX hike in that area. We started at Martha and followed the river upstream on the western bank..............bob

We first started looking for boundary markers for a portion of the Bass River State Forest, and came up with two of them about a half mile into the woods.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/8072004/IMG_3925.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/8072004/IMG_3928.jpg

We then tried to drive Steve's vehicle through a long stretch of water and we started sinking. We were just a few inches from getting our feet wet. Steve waded into the water and I drove backwards out as he pushed. We may have been able to get out without him pushing, but we did not want to dig ourself deeper trying to get out.

We had lunch right at the Furnace at Martha, and then drove north past the cedar cut above Nash's cabin, almost to Oswego lake, before heading back to measure the tree at Harrisville where we ran into CHIGGERS. From there I headed home because I was heading to Media PA in the late afternoon.

A nice day to be in the pine.

Guy

B

BarryC

You divide that figure by Pi to get the diameter, which comes out to be 31.5".
I have seen White Pines and Loblolly Pines bigger than that, but they also grow much faster. Pitch Pines are slow growers and large ones are extremely rare.
By the way, is that the original big Pitch Pine we saw at Harrisville? Kendawg and I looked for it, but couldn't find it. Instead we found one with lots of other tree branches around it. We were sure that was not the one we first found. But we could be completely wrong.
Barry
TeeGate said:
Today, Steve, Jessica, and I were in the Harrisville area, and we measured the pine tree that is mentioned in the previous posts. So at 4 1/2 feet from the ground it measured 99 inches in circumference.

So far officially that is the biggest on this site.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/8072004/IMG_3931.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/8072004/IMG_3933.jpg

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Old thread... but I found something interesting recently. This isn't a living tree, but a bunch of HUGE logs from a big pine tree which was cut somewhere around Batsto. There are about 8 big logs on either side of a little sand road which runs parallel to Washington Road here:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.65585&lon=-74.6327666666667&datum=nad83&u=7

It's hard to tell if these are from more than one tree. I didn't have a camera with me, but the logs range in size from 43" to 48" diameter. I measured the circumference of two of the largest ones. One was 148" and the other was 153". Some of the logs are hollow and big enough to crawl through!

Has anyone else seen these? Any idea where they come from? My guess would be an old tree that was preserved somewhere in the Batsto village area.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
As far as I know, the state record pitch pine is on Forsyth Refuge land, just off the end of Oxycoccus Rd. in Manahawkin (the old Bishop bogs). Some claim this one shouldn't count, as it divides into several trunks just about the measurment height. That would bump up the one Manumuskin mentioned to first place. His is on Stafford Ave., the road that ends at the "bridge to nowhere".

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The tree is set back from the road about 100 feet, give or take. It isn't easy to spot from the road unless you know where to look, and also doesn't look as big as it is from the road. Since both these trees are not far apart, perhaps a short get-together is in order. We can take new measurement and can see how the two trees compare.

As an aside, I'm of the opinion that few of the listed trees are really the biggest in the state, but just the ones found by the few guys doing the looking. For years, one of my old professors at Rutgers was listed as the reporter of quite a few of the state record trees. He lived in Princeton, and guess what town most of those trees where in, or near? I'm sure many record trees are out there, just waiting to be found.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You know German, I think I've seen that tree. It has three huge branches about 4 feet off the ground, which causes the point directly below the branches to swell out. Right?

Whoops, just noticed your previous post where you confirmed it for me. I'd say this tree just don't cut it. Knock on wood!