Where is this?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
in any event I looked my maps over and I did not photograph that area so I didn't have it anyway.

Don ...I should be out there very early tomorrow morning unless something changes.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jess and I saw that stand when we were at the end of the road where it is washed out. That is most likely where I will head in tomorrow.

Reactions: Don Catts

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That's the good thing about spring time fires. The water is usually high enough to protect the swamps. Summer time is a different story. The exposed roots don't stand a chance and takes a lifetime to recover if it ever does at all

Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jess and I saw that stand when we were at the end of the road where it is washed out. That is most likely where I will head in tomorrow.

You should have a good day, that area is clear now. I like the area, but it was just to much walking for me. Hope you guys find something of interest. I did walk up to the Springer's Brook trestle. It looks like it is still in good shape. Al may remember going under this on his canoe trip.

IMG_7735.JPG
IMG_7736.JPG
IMG_7738.JPG

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
That's the good thing about spring time fires. The water is usually high enough to protect the swamps. Summer time is a different story. The exposed roots don't stand a chance and takes a lifetime to recover if it ever does at all

Yes, I think this burned area is coming back nicely. A good rain tomorrow will help a lot.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Slight change of plans. Jessica is coming so I will not be as early.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Bob I saw a f650 super truck at the wawa at 539 and 70 with a window sticker for that gun club thought it was a joke. Ground swiping is a hunting joke.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I posted this here because of previous post. Sorry if it is slightly off topic.

We visited the fire area to look for the road mentioned in a previous post by Don. On our way there we ran into this nice friend out soaking up the early morning sun.

IMG_0687.JPG

Very calm.

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0696a.jpg

Moving on I barely got up to speed and we ran into this woman on the side of the road.

IMG_0702.JPG

She was a little preoccupied and seemed to be in a little stress.

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

I was concerned about her so I blocked the road somewhat so she would not get run over. When we returned later she was gone and I dug up the dirt and there were no eggs. I followed the trail of her tail into the fire area and searched quite a distance and she was gone. So the eggs are going somewhere else thankfully.

IMG_0707.JPG

Jessica's GoPro.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05312015/GOPR0336a.jpg

If that was not enough we found this.

IMG_0708.JPG

There is a go around if you can believe that.

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0709a.jpg

Okay...now to the important stuff :) I found the location of the bridge that Don was looking for and there is no evidence there ever was a bridge there except that the road goes right across there. So it had to be a basic wooden bridge without ground pilings.

IMG_0717.JPG

We then went back to the RR tracks, crossed the stream, and headed to the other side to see if we could find the fork in the road where the one went to Hampton and the other headed towards the bogs NW of there off of East Stokes Road. You can see the intersection here.

IMG_0723.JPG

The yellow arrows show the location of the bridge and the Y intersection where the road forks. The green arrows shows the road to Hampton and the bogs on East Stokes Road.

1931.jpg

And our route.

route.jpg

Also, check out this video of the fire today. It is really burning well.

Guy

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Guy, you and Jessica had a really good day. I will take a better look tonight when I get a change.

P.S. If Jessica took that picture of the snapper she is a pro already, that picture is a classic.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When we were leaving there was a van along the road with a young teenager and his dad. Jessica felt they were the owners. So I drove back to them and when the kid looked at me I pointed down the road and the kid shook his head yes. They then drove out to 206 and were sitting there waiting for most likely the wrecker.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
When we were leaving there was a van along the road with a young teenager and his dad. Jessica felt they were the owners. So I drove back to them and when the kid looked at me I pointed down the road and the kid shook his head yes. They then drove out to 206 and were sitting there waiting for most likely the wrecker.

I've got a lifted jeep and went around that hole. I'm pretty sure those logs were already in there too