Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What is at this intersection?

DSC_0235a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it is. It was mostly dry. On our way back there were 5 or so ATV's there but they were talking. I have to assume they had or would be driving in it.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I believe I've seen that chunk of concrete or a piece very similar on Chatsworth Rd between Shoal Branch Bridge and Lost Lane Rd. It would be on the left hand side as you head toward Penn State Forest. That chunk was also down the bottom of a hill and on private property. If I recall there might be more then that piece.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe I've seen that chunk of concrete or a piece very similar on Chatsworth Rd between Shoal Branch Bridge and Lost Lane Rd. It would be on the left hand side as you head toward Penn State Forest. That chunk was also down the bottom of a hill and on private property. If I recall there might be more then that piece.

I don't think that is correct. These I believe are the ones you mentioned. Located here.

IMG_9300aa.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

You are incorrect.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. I have the answer. And the story surrounding it is sketchy. I wrote about this years ago and will try to quickly explain it now. This is really edited so don't get too involved with the locations as I have edited some details.

The original Cedar Bridge fire tower that Beck visited was built along what today is the Old Cedar Bridge Road that goes past the Cedar Bridge Hotel. In 1932 the National Geodetic Survey designated the tower as one of their control stations. However, the tower was moved for some reason that I am uncertain of. In 1939 the WPA had what they called an "American Guide Series" describing the complete route from Ship Bottom/Manahauken to what today is the 4 mile circle, but not fully using Route 72(route40 then). They would turn off and go past the Cedar Bridge Tavern and reconnect to route 72 near Claytons. As they reached places of interest they would mention the distance from their beginning point.

So, after "mentioning" the Cedar Bridge Fire Tower they continued on past the Cedar Bridge Tavern and reconnected with 72. It then says this.

At 18.8 miles, on a clear knoll is "another" Fire Lookout." An excellent view of the long stretch of the Jersey pine belt is available from the platform, reached by steel stairs. Even from the road there is a broad vista of miles of wasteland, covered with scrub oaks and stunted pines barely waist-high. The stubby growth is like a coarse lawn as it sweeps away to become a distant blue-green sea. A few straggling trees rise above the mass, emphasizing the lonely scene.

This location is the top of the hill on the other side of 72 from Coyle Field just west of the property, now in "Burlington County." In 1950 and in 1951 the National Geodetic Survey did another review of their control stations and this is what they said about the original Cedar Bridge Tower that I just mentioned above.

1950 and 1951: Acording to the information obtained from the state forestry department, this tower was torn down in 1938. The foundation still exist. The fire tower has been moved to a new location and is now over the county line in Burlington County.

So I am saying that when the American Guide Series was published in 1939, the original Cedar Bridge tower had been removed a year before but they did not know that, and since they most likely had visited it before it was torn down, they still included it as being there when it was not. It had been moved across the county line near Coyle Field in the meantime.

I have had numerous email conversations with a recently deceased NY based fire lookout historian who researched some south jersey towers, and he told me that the second Cedar Bridge was painted yellow. And Bob's concrete is what I believe to be the steps of the second Cedar Bridge Tower.

This is a closeup with the wood still intact in the hole. Notice the yellow paint.

yellow.jpg

And the opposite side.

IMG_2525a.jpg

With all I wrote there are some reasons to doubt this actually is the tower steps. More on that later or tomorrow.

Reactions: Boyd and MuckSavage