Whip-poor-will

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Wondering if anybody can tell me if Whip-poor-wills are common in the pines. When camping this past spring one bird started calling and suddenly the whole woods were filled with a responding whistling birdcall that I believe could have been Whip-poor-wills.

Lorun said:
Wondering if anybody can tell me if Whip-poor-wills are common in the pines. When camping this past spring one bird started calling and suddenly the whole woods were filled with a responding whistling birdcall that I believe could have been Whip-poor-wills.

Ron,

They are found in the Pines as part of their summer range but they are "uncommon".
From Peterson's field guide: "At night, a rolling, tiresomely repeated "whip' poor Weel' " or " pur' ple rib' ", etc. accent on first and last syllables."

Steve

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Tiresome sounds about right. I loved hearing the sound, but after a while I just wanted to go to sleep. I tried to get a closer look but the woods were too dark to make out anyhing.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Behr,
I"ve always found whippoorwills to be quite common especially between april when they arrive and july.after that their calling slacks off and in october they leave.I do a lot of night exploring in the barrens so maybe thats why I hear and see more.I see them in my headlights frequently sitting in the middle of trails.They have red eyes and will let you get out and approach quite close when jacked by the lights.
Al

Al,
It was Peterson's field guide that said they are uncommon. Are you sure it is whip-poor-wills you are seeing at night? The night hawk, which is native to the Pines is closely related and look simular to a whip-poor-will. They have different wings and tail but the markings are simular.

Steve

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Behr,
It"s possible that the birds seen on the sand roads were night hawks are chuck wills widows but the calls I hear all over at night are definitely whipoorwills.Theirs no confusing the calls of these birds.Your right they do look a lot alike but the calls are distinctive.I"ve never actually got to watch a whipoorwill make a call though I"ve gotten to within 50 ft of them before the bolt.I"ve had whipoorwills land on picnic table next to lanterns where I"ve made definite identifications.
Al

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
My experience is in the Poconos and I've always heard them when I was in remote places. once you hear one, you never forget the sound.

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I went on a web site that has a recording of the Whip-poor-wills call. I think what I heard was a whip-poor-will. I plan to go camping at the same time and place next spring (lower forge campsite). I hope to hear the same calls again and get a closer look.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
When I lived in Absecon on Route 9 there used to be one in my side yard that would keep me up every night repeating that damn call over and over. I am very animal friendly but think I could have shot him due to sleep deprivation! I'm glad I didn't I thnk. sometimes blackbirds will emulate the Whip-poor-will call but would usually varaite to other calls too.