Who comes up with these idea's?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
And just $20 billion to start off :rolleyes:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/army-corps-proposes-giant-hurricane-barrier-across-new-york-bay/

usacealt2.jpg

T

Toothy Critter

Can find 20 Billion to protect homes there, but can't find 1/2 mil to build a higher fire tower to protect your homes down South.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Remembering that water seeks its own level, when the water rises and it can’t pass over this wall won’t it then end up going North and South of the Wall, making matters worse for those areas and eventually ending up past the wall anyhow?
I think a better idea would be to try to stop the hurricane before it forms by doing something on the West coast of Africa where most of them originate. Not sure what to do though.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Army Corps of Engineers has flooded more caves then I can imagine.They also have flooded several of my family's graveyards in eastern KY.They supposedly dug up all the bodies and put them in the new Yatesvilel cemetery on top of the hill.My question is how do you dig up a body thats been in the dirt for almost 200 years and was no doubt buried in a wood coffin.I think they looked at the records and either made new stones or removed the old stones and put them in the new cemetery and left the remains for the fish.The indians whine about how we treat their dead.Heck! We don't treat ours any better where $ are concerned.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Remembering that water seeks its own level, when the water rises and it can’t pass over this wall won’t it then end up going North and South of the Wall, making matters worse for those areas and eventually ending up past the wall anyhow?
I think a better idea would be to try to stop the hurricane before it forms by doing something on the West coast of Africa where most of them originate. Not sure what to do though.
My advice would be to quit building on low lying coastal lands.perhaps a ban on building under 20 ft in elevation?Come on folks,the ice is melting,I"ve seen the swamps moving back keeping pace with the shoreline right here on Delaware bay in my 50 short years.The waves pounded and the seas roared and the house built on sand fell.We have very little rock here to build on but at least we can back up from the seashore a bit and maybe the house won't fall as quickly.

Reactions: Toothy Critter
T

Toothy Critter

I didn't realize that the Army Corps of Engineers was responsible for building fire towers. ;)

Not the point. Who cares where the labor comes from, its the $$$$.. It eventually comes from all of us

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I got your point, you're mad about the fire tower - and I sympathize. But it just seems like apples and oranges to me, we could make the same complaint about every expensive project. But regardless, they haven't "found 20 billion", it's just one of five different options and the article says that it will be difficult to get approved.

Reactions: CurMUDgeon

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The good ole Army Corp of Engineers, been around since 1775. I wonder what the total waste of money has been. Their flood walls and pump houses certainly kept NOLA safe during Katrina, and now they want to help the folks in the NY Bight against the next Sandy :eek: They do know how to pump sand though. :D

T

Toothy Critter

I got your point, you're mad about the fire tower - and I sympathize. But it just seems like apples and oranges to me, we could make the same complaint about every expensive project. But regardless, they haven't "found 20 billion", it's just one of five different options and the article says that it will be difficult to get approved.[/QUOTE

No sir, I accept the inevitable outcome on the fire tower. I did inject my opinion, but like all decisions, I have to learn to live with it and if the outcome is not to my liking, so be it. I was merely trying to point out that we as a community, a State, or, as a Nation, make decisions that are based not only on need, but on "where the $ is, or what public opinion is. That is why I made inappropriate remarks in a past post. I don't even know if I object to the harbor gates, it may be a necessity. Just simply tried to bring attention to where the money goes and why. But aren't you happy to see how I have learned.... no offensive comments ???? :D.