Who else goes hiking with their dog?

Aug 22, 2016
South Jersey
I am counting down the days until cold weather and NO TICKS! I am biting at the bit. My dog and I cannot get enough of the pines. Last year, we did a 6 mile hike in the snow and not a single person had stepped foot in the snow we were the first ones out there!!
I bought a Subaru a few months ago solely for my dog and car camping! There aren't too many 27 year old girls who are up for camping, at least people I know, plus most are having babies...soooo that leaves me mostly exploring by myself :eek: and I want to go on a couple of camping trips and hope to camp in the back of my car...I'd feel a lot safer :)

Reactions: 92 Blazer Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Do you hunt with him? I used to raise and train Brittany's for companion/field.

Our last pup from our last litter; Cody, sniffin' out Mr. Bob.

88988289.jpg

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I used to trail run and took my Springer with me a lot. I can't run anymore, and she's 14 years old now. Can't take her very far from the truck, but she loves being out in the woods. After a good frost to get rid of the chiggers, I'll be taking her out soon.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Chiggers should be gone. I"ve found a couple good nights down around 40 will do it,no frost needed and we've had them.I haven't gotten any last couple times in the woods and I haven't sprayed.has anyone gotten chigged in the last week or two?

Aug 22, 2016
South Jersey
I used to trail run and took my Springer with me a lot. I can't run anymore, and she's 14 years old now. Can't take her very far from the truck, but she loves being out in the woods. After a good frost to get rid of the chiggers, I'll be taking her out soon.
We have started going out to the pines with no issues with ticks or chiggers...We just did a 4.5 hour hike followed by the batsto country living fair last week and did not have any issues, surprisingly!

Aug 22, 2016
South Jersey
Do you hunt with him? I used to raise and train Brittany's for companion/field.

Our last pup from our last litter; Cody, sniffin' out Mr. Bob.

88988289.jpg

Beautiful! I love gundogs! I would love to get him into field trials, but there isn't anywhere near me to take him for training...His offspring mostly go out west to gamebird hunters! So, he is just my hiking bud.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Great hearing everyone's experiences. My dog loves hiking and is usually a good travel buddy when he stays away from the mud! I've learned to bring towels over the years if he decides to explore the swampy areas. I took him last year on a Batona hike and he did great but pulled a bit as we were hiking with another dog in the lead. When it gets cold he really helps heat up the small tent we have. I use a quick clip carabiner on my belt so I don't have to hold onto his leash the whole time. I usually pack his food and treats along with us and thankfully it never weighs out more than 1.5 lbs which isn't too bad to pack along with everything else. My buddy has a doggie saddlebag that his dog uses, but I don't think mine would enjoy it. Happy trails and tails.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I've done a lot of trail running in the pines with my Jack Russell. She's done an 11 mi run with us before no problem. I will usually try out an area a few times to make sure nobody is around before taking her off the leash. She listens well and never gets too far ahead. Our other dog us a hound mix and is a runner. If she sees a deer, she will go after it 100%. One time my son took her off leash and she ran about 2 miles home, across a busy road and almost got killed.

My runs or hikes always bring me around bodies of water if I bring the dogs. I will carry some snacks if we are gone a few hours, but they usually wont eat.