who knew?

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Edit: Ok, I checked an atlas for the area and I figured it out. Looks like they cut clear through where the house would have stood when they put in an exit off I-295 in the 1995 aerials.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Ok so when I was looking at the old atlas I noticed something odd. This atlas shows a graveyard where there is currently a tank farm (Paulsboro on Mantua Creek). What would have happened to the graveyard?

Attachments

• gyard3.jpg
    gyard3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 177
  • gyard2.jpg
    gyard2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 187

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Ok so when I was looking at the old atlas I noticed something odd. This atlas shows a graveyard where there is currently a tank farm (Paulsboro on Mantua Creek). What would have happened to the graveyard?

The bodies may have been moved.

http://www.nj.searchroots.com/Gloucesterco/gloucestercem.html

"At Mantua Point on the Delaware River, on a site now occupied by the I.P. Thomas & Sons Co., phosphate works, was the Paul burial-ground. The bodies in this cemetery were removed in about 1880 to the Methodist Episcopal Cemetery in Paulsboro, and the ground is now used for commercial purposes."

"The Lodge cemetery stood on the Lodge farm on the banks of the Delaware River, near the village of Billingsport. This farm now forms part of the plant of the Vacuum Oil Company, and in 1917 the bodies and tombstones were removed to Eglington Cemetery, in Clarksboro, N.J."

About 3/4 of the way down the page just below the paragraph which begins with The STEPHENS cemetery link.