Whooo are you

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
We were out and about Sunday afternoon checking the fire area and a few other places. Came upon this guy/gal on a dead fall near Adams Feed strip. We stopped to get a pic and it floated off the dead fall into the road behind us. He/she would let me within about 5 feet or so, then hop away. Couldn’t fly very high at all, maybe 3 feet off the ground and not very much distance. I didn't keep pushing, only took these shots and left. Hoping it roosted somewhere high enough and didn’t become coyote bait. I'm guessing this is a Short Ear owl, not only because of the obvious, but based on the info I found on the easternet ! I'll leave the ID to the pros though

Attachments

• owl 1.JPG
    owl 1.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 310
  • owl 2.JPG
    owl 2.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 240
  • owl 3.JPG
    owl 3.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 232
  • owl 4.JPG
    owl 4.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 246

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
You witnessed a diversionary display by a Great Horned. If you return and take a closer look you may find a nest or young.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue Gremlin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Kind of late for a Great Horned to be on a nest, usually done in Jan-Feb, but I guess it could be a late bloomer ;)

They are normally out of the nest by June.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
46er, I have only seen them do this tactic near the nest or when juveniles were roosting low or on the ground. The owls have a different reaction when caught on the ground with prey. They hold onto their catch and cover it, while putting you between them and their meal. What are your thoughts on the owl's actions that Joe captured?

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What are your thoughts on the owl's actions that Joe captured?

Would like to see if there is anything in its talons, they do try to cover their kills up, as that ones position suggests. Just guesses, only the GHO knows :D

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We were out and about Sunday afternoon checking the fire area and a few other places. Came upon this guy/gal on a dead fall near Adams Feed strip. We stopped to get a pic and it floated off the dead fall into the road behind us. He/she would let me within about 5 feet or so, then hop away. Couldn’t fly very high at all, maybe 3 feet off the ground and not very much distance. I didn't keep pushing, only took these shots and left. Hoping it roosted somewhere high enough and didn’t become coyote bait. I'm guessing this is a Short Ear owl, not only because of the obvious, but based on the info I found on the easternet ! I'll leave the ID to the pros though
They always look so pissed off!

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Yes they do, I really think this one had the right to be with me there taking pics like a tourist!:)

Nice picture taking. And I learned something tonight because I did not kmow that they did that. I thought the little guy/girl was injured and may become coyote bait; glad i learned differently. Thank you for the info