Wild Cherries

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
For any other hunter/gatherer types out there, this week the wild cherries are ripening up in throughout the pines. Look for old fields where the cherry has invaded. It is always around the 3rd week in July.
I have been eating gobs of them every night back here near Miller's Bog on my nightly walk.
Last year I got really ambitious. My wife and I picked a s load and we sat and squeezzed the pits out one by one by hand.
I then made a wild cherry jam and canned it. It was unbelievably good but a lot of work for the pitting phase.
Since the wild cherries are very small, a conventional pitter doesn't work.
July is a good month to make a meal in the woods with low and highbush blueberries going full tilt and this week, the cherries.
Enjoy them before the birds beat you to it.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I also make my own preserves (Jersey blueberry is my favorite). They all need a lot of sugar to set. My wife uses the wild cherries, if we can find them, to make pie. She said the wild sour cherries make the best cherry pie.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I am blessed to have many on mine & my father's property. Just had two monster sized models removed 2 months ago. They are indeed ripening and I love this time. Good stuff.
Years back I made wine from them. Messy & annoying, decent outcome. They do however when fallen make for many bees & ripe smell & colorful bird leaving on the cars. My wife & my kids just don't dig it but since I grew up on the stuff I just grab a handful when walking by & go to town. Yes Scott, they are coming in plenty & All... if you have the chance, sample this one of many Barren's gifts. Tart at times but satisfying. Think of the many folks over 3 or 4 centuries that walked before you and tasted those same berries!
Kinda Cosmic & groovy like.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am blessed to have many on mine & my father's property. Just had two monster sized models removed 2 months ago. They are indeed ripening and I love this time. Good stuff.
Years back I made wine from them. Messy & annoying, decent outcome. They do however when fallen make for many bees & ripe smell & colorful bird leaving on the cars. My wife & my kids just don't dig it but since I grew up on the stuff I just grab a handful when walking by & go to town. Yes Scott, they are coming in plenty & All... if you have the chance, sample this one of many Barren's gifts. Tart at times but satisfying. Think of the many folks over 3 or 4 centuries that walked before you and tasted those same berries!
Kinda Cosmic & groovy like.

g.

I know a local guy that used to make wild cherry brandy by saturating them in PGA (pure grain alcohol) and making a mash.
That was some fine drinkin' there.

Oct 25, 2006
Talking about the cherries, jams, pies,and the wine has gotten me hungry and thirsty, all i have is a cherry tastykake and a shot glass left of red wine.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Is this what I know of as choke cherries? I always thought of them as a weed and kept the horses from them.

Ed

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I know a local guy that used to make wild cherry brandy by saturating them in PGA (pure grain alcohol) and making a mash.
That was some fine drinkin' there.

My Uncle in Sweetwater, that's his answer to all fruits. I swear he'd do it to acorns. I found it a darned site easier for a lay person to make a "brandy" if you will. Does make for some vicious fruit too if you just want to eat whichever berry!!
As you'll notice in the woods by the way as I have mass dropping around the yard, The berries are starting to fall. Better get 'em before they're gone folks.

g.