normal_dwpbird.jpg

Awild turkey huh?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah, that doesn't look like a wild turkey to me :)

I keep seeing wild turkeys all over the place recently. I don't think a day goes by that I don't see one or more on the back roads in Atlantic County on my drive to work. Last week I saw a whole family - a mother and several young ones (are they called chicks or ???). Very cute, have never seen little ones before. They were following Mom across the road in a line, sort of like ducks.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I've had a mess of hens hangin out my way for awhile. No sign of a Tom.
Took a look at them. They weren't that put out & trotted slowly just so as to keep a little space between us. Loped into the Clark/Woas branch behind me. About 13 to 15 at the most. It's been neat having them about although Turkeys usually like to hang behind my place.
Did some good riding today. Things are looking good out my way & I am scouting cleanup spots.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yeah, that doesn't look like a wild turkey to me :)

(are they called chicks or ???).

The young are called poults.
The reintroduction of wild turkey to NJ is one of the greatest successes ever managed by Fish and Game.
The program was in its early stages in 1979 when I had a classs at Rutgers in wildlife management.
The Fish and Game guys gave us a demo of shotgun netting and at that time they were still importing trapped birds from the southeastern part of our country.
It wasn't long after that that the first sustainable hunts were permitted and now they are well established throughout the state.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Lots of turkeys

These guys have been hanging out at Oriental for most of the summer.

normal_IMG_0003%7E6.JPG

I have been seeing turkeys all over the pines this summer. Lot's of very young ones and peeps. I could have caught them. I can routinely get within 10 feet of mature ones and on occasion could have hit them with my walking stick.

Ed

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Here's another couple that I saw this morning. They've been hanging at the same corner all summer.

normal_IMG_0012%7E0.JPG

normal_IMG_0014%7E1.JPG

I saw another hen this morning with 4 or 5 imature ones. I almost got a picture but a group of cars came by and scared them. They seem to hang out at the same locations for extended periods.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A friend of mine has a farm in New Eqypt and he has turkeys hannging around 24/7 to be fed with the farm animals. They are get domesticated I guess, kind of a shame. Hope they don't end up like our Canadian geese.

Jeff

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
" I can routinely get within 10 feet of mature ones and on occasion could have hit them with my walking stick."

" Hope they don't end up like our Canadian geese."

Although marinated Canada Goose breast tastes like london broil if grilled, I suspect that if the wild turket gets as plentiful and troublesome as the Geese are I will be eating a lot of Turkeys at that time.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I think "referring" to it would be a better choice of words. I don't think he meant harm, he was just throwing doubt on your choice of what kind of creature it is.

Yeah I posted a thread about it awhile back, and someone corrected me and said it was a turkey vulture, which I realize is what I saw.