Wilderness

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
2014 is the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Wilderness Act on 9/3/1964. There is stuff going on, but you wouldn't know it here in NJ :rolleyes:

http://www.wilderness50th.org/events.php

monte_poster.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What I wouldn't give to witness a crowd like that in the wild.Isaiah says some day.

I have been very fortunate to see all but two of those critters in their home habitat over the many years. Not sure about the turtle/tortoise. Will never see the polar bruin. Not all at one time though, that could only happen in the animal prisons.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I've never seen a wolf but heard a pack in the distance in UP Michigan at night in a forest service campsite.actually the only animals there I"ve seen in the wild are the Elk and the Gopher tortoise or so it seems to be.Used to catch em when i lived in Florida.Of course we have Bald Eagles out the wazoo here in Cumberland County.I have found Bobcat sign like scratchin trees and tracks and scent posts but have never seen one for sure though back in the 80's I think I caught a quick glimpse of one on the west side of Union lake.Now that other bird appears to be a Crane ,I"m thinking Sandhill.I have seen them in the wild but can't recall where.Maybe Brigantine NWR???

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It looks like a Sandhill, but I recall them being more tan in color, I'll have to check the Crossley. There is a flock of them that are regulars in the fall in Cumberland County, also some sporadic ones out near Colliers Mills.

edit: Crossley shows the one being a Whooper's.

This is from the Yellowstone, Swan Lake Flats.

156536366.jpg

Reactions: John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will just throw this in here. We all saw a coyote standing right along the GSP on my way up to Vermont. No concerns about the cars going by.