Will "map of the pines classic" work with Etrex Legend H?

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Just to update, I got it working! I owe Boyd and you guys a beer for helping me out. I am a moron with this stuff, but once I figured it out I hit myself on the forehead, because I should have had this working in minutes, not hours. I never had this much trouble getting a paper map to work.
Doug

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You are not a moron! This stuff is confusing to everyone. I was banging my head against the wall this morning trying to get my installer script for that map to work. It all looked right to me but I finally tracked it down to a missing tab character between a command and a comment!

Glad you've got it working - enjoy the Christmas present! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is off subject but I can't see a reason to start a new post now that fierodoug has things working.

Boyd...my daughter was a passenger on Thursday and Friday on a very quick trip to S. Carolina and back to pick up two dogs. She took my wife's TomTom and when hitting traffic in Virginia they went off an exit to avoid it. As it usually does it kept trying to get her back on 95 when they wanted to continue further. Do any of the newer and better GPS units allow you to tell it that you do not want to get back on the road you just left?

Her photo but I put my name on it.

IMG_0767.JPG

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of mapping, my son got me this large format book for Christmas, and it is very well done. It has NJ maps on geology, demographics, railroads, glacial moraines, watersheds, etc, etc. Very well done.

Guy, it also shows a map that was used for triangulation. Remember the guy hitting all the high points on the 1833 Gordons? That must have been someone doing triangulation. Apparantly, once you construct the triangles, other maps are easy to do.

IMG_5959.JPG

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Bob - lucky you! I saw that book in the store recently and it looks very cool.

Guy - cute dog. :) About the GPS, I just don't know. Over at GPSReview, this is a common complaint but not an issue I have seen much myself. I used a TomTom 920 for a year and was happy with the routing. Each time you created a new route, it would give you some options. It showed the whole route and if you didn't like it you could tap a button and it would continue to provide different routes as long as you kept tapping that button until you found one you liked. I thought that was a nice feature, but it may not be available on all models.

On the Nuvi (and TomTom also I believe) you can choose what you want to avoid. If you told it to avoid the highways then it wouldn't keep trying to take you back to one. But you need to dig down through the menu's to find this option, and many times you DO want it to route you on highways, so you'd need to keep changing this.

You also have the choice of shortest vs fastest routing. This may also affect the behavior - I'm sure TomTom also offers this. For me, I just go wherever I want and ignore the GPS if I disagree. Never bothers me, but I suspect that's because I don't have the voice prompts turned on. I can see how this would be annoying if a dumb "robot lady" keeps telling me to do something I don't want. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Boyd. Rob from work says his TomTom allows him to do what I want mine to do, so I guess I have to look this one over more closely.

Bob...I would have to agree then. I wonder who he was? Maybe he was checking the accuracy of the map or planning for the next map?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks pretty much the same. He must have been doing that.

Guy