William Newell

shoobie

May 17, 2004
Manahawkin
I never knew about William Newell until I had a very interesting conversation about him with someone this evening. His major achievement is talked about in that link, but from what I could gather, he was a pretty remarkable guy.
I figured he sized up as a legend so I put him here...guess the moderator can set me straight if I'm wrong!

B

bach2yoga

I never heard of him, he was remarkable, definitely. I thought the writing sounded rather "young" so I clicked on home and found that it is the WebQuest Project of the Little Egg Harbor School District.
Thanks for the link!
Renee

shoobie

May 17, 2004
Manahawkin
Yeah, the kid did a good job! Actually I couldn't find a lot about him when I searched. I was told that someone named Applegate had written a book about him, but I haven't come across it yet.

Oh wait, I have heard of this guy, the organization he helped found later merged with another organization to become the United States Coast Guard. I'll have to comb my books and figure out which I read it in. I'm thinking it was "The Lure of Long Beach" by Charles Nash...

shoobie

May 17, 2004
Manahawkin
Yeah, same guy. The person who told me about him was in the coast guard for years. Right now he's working on the coast guard boat that's on LBI along with some other things.