Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Mount Holly, Jackson, Millville,
Hammonton, Cape May Court House, Ocean City, Atlantic City,
Long Beach Island, Wharton State Forest, Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg,
Reading, Allentown, Bethlehem, Media, Philadelphia, Honey Brook,
Oxford, West Chester, Kennett Square, Collegeville, Pottstown,
Norristown, Lansdale, Chalfont, Perkasie, Morrisville,
and Doylestown
349 AM EDT Sat Apr 1 2023

...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 AM EDT SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts of 40 to 45 mph
expected. Isolated gusts up to 55 mph possible.

* WHERE...Portions of central, northern and southern Delaware,
northeast Maryland, central and southern New Jersey and east
central, northeast and southeast Pennsylvania. Highest gusts are
expected in Delmarva as well as at higher elevations along the
Lehigh Valley and in the Southern Poconos.

* WHEN...Until 2 AM EDT Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects.
Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may
result.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Locally stronger wind gusts may be
possible in heavy showers and thunderstorms Saturday afternoon
and evening.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high

profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Look like the Burlington County/Ocean County area may have some good storms. Maybe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I see a clear conflict here. 6:43 pm.

1680389017585.png

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We just had a really long loud thunder clap. It is still rumbling.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is really loud and windy here. Kind of scary.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah, the forecast really seems to have missed the mark for me. This morning it got dark and rainy and the wind started blowing. I have been chained to the computer today, finishing up this new site and was surprised to see that it cleared up this afternoon with a light wind - quite a nice day. Just got back from a walk and there are nice sunset colors with a bit of wind, but nothing like that advisory. But it is in effect until 2:00 AM, so who knows what might happen between now and then, I don't take anything for granted these days!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It is really loud and windy here. Kind of scary.
Wow, now I see. Big front is moving through, going really fast right now. Looks like it won't last long but there are a bunch of alerts on the map. Guess it will hit me before too long, hard to say how strong it will be at that point. :siren:

Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 7.11.17 PM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's moving out of here right now, that was a pretty intense storm but I've seen worse. Lights were flickering... still have my fingers crossed, would be a bad time to lose computer power, 4 hours into a 5 hour map render, one hour into a two hour map upload!

I see a clear conflict here. 6:43 pm.

They were showing a tornado alert up around your area Bob. Everything OK?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was mentioned on the new there were no reports of tornados in NJ but he may have had straight line winds. Quite a bit of hail mentioned on TV.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's moving out of here right now, that was a pretty intense storm but I've seen worse. Lights were flickering... still have my fingers crossed, would be a bad time to lose computer power, 4 hours into a 5 hour map render, one hour into a two hour map upload!

They were showing a tornado alert up around your area Bob. Everything OK?
Yes, thanks. Had straight line winds only plus rain, no hail. You could hear the wind coming, sounded ominous.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I ducked into my clothes closet at one point, and realized I don't have weather radar on my phone. I started looking for an APP, but stopped counting at 60 different apps. What kind do you all have?

• Wow
Reactions: RednekF350 and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have been using RadarScope since it was introduced, many years ago. Not free, but worth every penny if you want very accurate radar. It is a rather no-frills app that just shows the unfiltered NEXRAD imagery from one station at a time (which would be KDIX for you). So, kind of a geeky thing perhaps might not be what many people want. I also have the Mac version, but that was a separate purchase. They have a Windows version too.

Reactions: bobpbx

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Past here now in Medford. It was very intense for a little bit but it moved through faster than I expected it to. Thankfully no damage.

Lights were flickering... still have my fingers crossed, would be a bad time to lose computer power, 4 hours into a 5 hour map render, one hour into a two hour map upload!

Gotta get yourself a UPS. Even a small one will at least give you some time to save your work, if possible. Might not save long file uploads specifically but I imagine something like a render could be paused or your system put into sleep/hibernate.

As far as weather apps, I typically just use the NOAA site itself, or Ventusky. Not all of its features are free, but the radar is. Open to better suggestions.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Gotta get yourself a UPS. Even a small one will at least give you some time to save your work

LOL, I know you're trying to be helpful, but do you seriously think I need that kind of computer 101 advice? :D I've had personal computers since 1978, UPS'es since 1985, working with BSD unix systems starting back then, also System V unix. Supporting an office full of Macs starting in 1993, early adopter of Red Hat Linux for a company server in the late 90's. I have multiple UPS systems at home, a couple Goal Zero battery backups when those run down and a Generac for everything else!

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
LOL, I know you're trying to be helpful, but do you seriously think I need that kind of computer 101 advice? :D I've had personal computers since 1978, UPS'es since 1985, working with BSD unix systems starting back then, also System V unix. Supporting an office full of Macs starting in 1993, early adopter of Red Hat Linux for a company server in the late 90's. I have multiple UPS systems at home, a couple Goal Zero battery backups when those run down and a Generac for everything else!

Don't know if you do or not. Your post sounded like you were worried about the power going out, so it sounded like it wasn't on some kind of backup, that's all. It wasn't meant as some kind of slight. You don't have to list your credentials.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks, But geez... give me some credit here! Yes, I was concerned - not because I didn't have a UPS, but because I don't want to have to run on it for an extended period with a fully loaded computer running a bunch of things in a virtual machine as well as under MacOS while uploading a 38gb file to the server. And even if my computer is fine, there's always the chance of an internet connection going down, lightning strikes, etc. I really prefer to shut everything down during a big storm. I shut down my media server and file server and just now brought them back online.