Windows 7 time is nigh

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Received a pop-up from MS when I started IE11. Don't know why it came thru that. Not so sure about that 'we are here to help' comment. I stuck with XP till the bitter end and will do the same with 7. Soon there will be 2 Old #7's ;)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ife-support-information?OCID=win7_app_omc_win

Support for Windows 7 is nearing the end
After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. We know change can be difficult, so we are here to help you with recommendations for what to do next and to answer questions about end of support.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I read an article a couple months ago that said Microsoft was going to start pushing out those warnings. But (so far) I guess they are only doing it through IE. Have been using my Windows 7 Pro system all day today and have not seen it yet in Firefox, Chrome, or anywhere else.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I upgraded to 10 while they were doing it for free awhile back. It's on an old laptop that's hardly ever used but I'm not comfortable without something running windows. Once in awhile I find it necessary or easier to use it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I read an article a couple months ago that said Microsoft was going to start pushing out those warnings. But (so far) I guess they are only doing it through IE. Have been using my Windows 7 Pro system all day today and have not seen it yet in Firefox, Chrome, or anywhere else.

Also began getting a message about IE11 settings. Both may have come with the latest update. When I have some time I will revert back and see if they go away.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Received what could be the first of many messages from MS, that I am running an unsupported release of Windows, but they now give the option not to receive any additional messages. That box is now checked :)

But this morning I received updates for Win 7. Maybe they changed their mind. Go figure.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I had heard that as well. The message I got was from MS and the updates from the MS update process. There is a scam for just about everything it seems. They must have some success.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Have still not seen any "messages from Microsoft" about unsupported software on my Windows 7 PC. I have Windows 7 Pro however, do you have the home version perhaps? Or maybe it's because I have auto-updates turned off? Also, I have not signed into any Microsoft accounts on my PC. Now, on my Mac I get occasional alerts about how MS Office 365 no longer supports my old version of MacOS. This might be the same kind of thing, since I have Office installed and associated with my account.

Speaking of scams, just got a text claiming to be from Fedex (that obviously wasn't), saying they will "schedule my delivery" if I just click the link below.... Yeah, right. ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have Windows 7 Pro however, do you have the home version perhaps? Or maybe it's because I have auto-updates turned off?

I have the pro and auto-updates to remind only. Probably the reason you didn't get any messages. I don't have automatic updates for anything, including virus detection software; just reminders if there are any.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I fired up a refurbed Dell I got last month with Win 10 on it. There is no longer an option to turn off auto-update permanently and just be notified of changes. You can delay, but that is it. There is a work around I will try, but nothing official. I used some software to copy stuff across and it looks like Win 7 except it does not behave as well, some hiccups now and then. It thinks it's a smart phone; no programs, just app's. 7 keeps on pluggin' away :)

Reactions: old jersey girl

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well, my transition to Windows 10 has finally begun. After a lot of consideration, I decided not to upgrade my old PC and not to buy a new one. Instead, I just got a new top-spec Mac Mini (6-core 3.2ghz i7 CPU with 64gb RAM and 2tb SSD) and a huge 32 inch screen. Have installed Windows 10 in a virtual machine using Parallels and it seems to work very well. Was surprised that my 9-year-old version of Globalmapper installed and activated without problems, although I'll probably upgrade to the new version anyway.

This new machine will take the place three separate old computers... No more rolling my chair across the room between separate screens and keyboards, no more transferring files. :)