Windows 8 question....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
At the rate technology evolves, that makes Windows XP a near-relic.

"I Will Give Up XP When They Peel My Cold Dead Fingers From Around My XP Mouse."-46er, 12/23/2013 :clint:

or when my new Dell gets delivered :D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've had Windows 7 for over 3 years now. The search tool is astoundingly quick. I also love the snipping tool-best thing since sliced bread. I don't remember if XP had it, but "system restore" is a wonderful recovery tool. I've used it at least 6 times and it works perfectly.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The snipping tool was part of Vista too. Here's a strange thing though, it mysteriously stopped working ofor me. Never figured out why but I found a free utility called Gadwin Printscreen that I like better anyway.

Why would you have to restore your system 6 times? I have never needed to do that on any of my Windows or MacOS machines.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Why would you have to restore your system 6 times? I have never needed to do that on any of my Windows or MacOS machines.

I think visitors to my household downloaded things without my permission, and things changed. That and some other strange things would happen, like all of a sudden could not see all images in webpages.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Why would you have to restore your system 6 times?

System restore is a very easy, handy, safe tool to use if your experiencing something not quite right with your system. I have used it often; most recently this morning when, for whatever reason, IE would not load. The handy part is it does not change anything you have done to files; such as load photo's, create documents, save a favorite. Very handy, not just for disasters. It would be even handier if it reported on any descrepencies it found, but it's fine just the way it is.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is what has always amazed me about the Windows world. People just accept the fact that you need to do these "restores" or re-install Windows on a regular basis. Back when XP was the current version it was sort of a running joke that "you need to re-install Windows" was the standard advice for anything wrong with your system.

Hey, I'm a pragmatist, so if that's what you need to do in order to get your work done then why not? But it's sad that people expect such a low level of reliability/quality in a computer operating system. This kind of thing has certainly never been the norm on the Mac. And, as I said, it has not been the norm for me with Windows either. But my use of Windows is limited to a small group of GIS programs.

BTW, my old MacBook Pro was setup as a dual-boot machine that could startup in either Windows XP or MacOSX. A few days ago I deleted the Windows partition on that machine since I no longer use it and don't want to keep renewing the anti-virus software. I'm in the process of ripping my collection of movies on DVD and the free space was more useful to me than Windows.

So I no longer have an XP machine now. Good riddance! :p

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
Run, do not walk from Windows 8; it's just one big surveillance system, with more back doors than a Nucky Johnson speakeasy. Stick to 7 or XP.