Windows 98

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have an unopened package of Windows 98. What should I ask at a Yard Sale? I see some developers still use it. Should I sell it on Ebay instead? Should I trash it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have an unopened package of Windows 98. What should I ask at a Yard Sale? I see some developers still use it. Should I sell it on Ebay instead? Should I trash it?

Bob, If you don't sell it I will take it before you trash it. Don't stop trying to sell it because I mentioned that. Do that first if you want, and then before you trash think of me.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I guess you never know.... but people throw whole Windows 98 based computers in the trash regularly - you can't even give them away! At work they just trashed at least a half dozen last month... a couple of them even had Windows XP on them. They were hauled away by a company with a lot of other junk, maybe they recycle them or something?

It's sad how quickly a computer becomes worthless. Forgive me if I've told this story here before (it's one of my favorites and absolutely true). After my Dad died I was getting rid of a lot of his stuff and he had an old Macintosh SE computer. It was 8 or 9 years old at the time but it still worked fine. I knew it wasn't really worth anything, so I left it sitting on a milk crate by the road in my front yard with a sign that said "free computer". At the time I lived on Tabernacle Road in Medford Lakes.

When I got home from work, the milk crate was gone and the computer was sitting on the grass. I was really annoyed, because I wanted to KEEP the milk crate! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Good story :) I don't remember you telling it before.

Guy