Winslow WMA Crackdown !

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
From the Winslow Township Police Facebook page.
It is very encouraging to read about all of the recent stepped up enforcement in other areas as well.

Could we have been correct in our position that closing roads was not the answer ?
Naah, that's crazy talk.

Local Quarry Enforcment - Blue Hole, Oak Pond, Penbryn Lake, Hanson Sand and Gravel

Winslow Township Police Department (NJ)·Monday, August 22, 2016
In light of recent incidents in Winslow Township involving two young children riding an ATV (ages 9 and 11) being struck by a vehicle while crossing a road and the recent reported possible drowning at the Blue Hole located on Piney Hollow Road in Winslow Township, two Winslow officers worked an undercover enforcement assignment in conjunction with 5 New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife uniformed officers. The enforcement action began on Friday evening August 19th at approximately 9:00 pm and ended on Sunday evening August 21st at 7:00 pm. The enforcement covered the Blue Hole on Piney Hollow Road, Penbryn Lake located on Penbryn Road, Oak Pond located in a wooded section off New Brooklyn Road and Hanson Sand and Gravel located on Williamstown Road. The enforcement action primarily targeted trespassing on the properties involving illegal activities such as swimming in the quarries, riding ATV's and consumption of alcoholic beverages and other violations that are strictly prohibited at these locations. The people who frequent these areas are often from out of the area and use these areas as a haven for illegal activities.
During this special enforcement action the police officers encountered many people, all from outside Winslow Township and were involved in the mentioned illegal activities, some as far as Trainer, PA. It's hard to believe that the violators do not know that certain activities are not permitted in the area. As the undercover officers entered the area and before enforcement action was taken, some of the violators interacted with the undercover officers. They warned the officers telling them, "Be careful, the rangers are in the area and they will write you up." The officers thanked them for the warning and sent the Division of Fish and Wildlife to move in and cite the violators.
On other occasions, when the undercover officers approached people drinking alcohol on the property, it was almost as if they were going to offer the officers a beer until the officers identified themselves. The violators sighed and said, "Oh my God it’s the cops!"
One woman at the Blue Hole on Piney Hollow Road who was cited for trespassing was alone watching over several children who were swimming ranging from ages of 2 to 16 in dangerous waters. These waters have steep drop-offs of 50 feet or more. None of the children were wearing life preservers.
Officers questioned the violators and asked how they found these hidden locations. All told us that they found these locations from social media. Hopefully our social media presence will alert them to come to these locations for legal activities only.
The following violations were issued over the course of three days: 30 citations for illegal swimming, 23 citations for trespassing, 10 citations for the consumption of alcohol in a public place, 3 warrant arrests, 2 citations for being in a park after dark, 2 for fishing without a license, 2 motor vehicle violation and 4 other Fish and Game violations.
We do not want to discourage people from visiting these areas, but those who do visit, to visit safely and follow the rules. Illegal activities in these areas will not be tolerated and enforcement action will be taken. No camping, picnicking drinking alcohol, riding ATV's or swimming is allowed in these areas. These areas are closed completely between the hours of 9:00 pm and 5:00 am. For more information on what activities are permitted, please visit the New Jersey Division of Fish and Game at
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/wmar...

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wonder what they mean by a blue hole being "dangerous waters"? Any water is dangerous if you can't swim and if you can swim a blue hole is no more dangerous then a swimming pool.No rip currents,no current at all actaully,clear water so you can see what your stepping on.I"d definitely keep a close eye on the two year old but by the time I was sixteen I was swimming the length of Union Lake.The state owns Union lake now,I"m sure they'd hop in a boat and come out to give me a ticket for that now.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I wonder what they mean by a blue hole being "dangerous waters"? Any water is dangerous if you can't swim and if you can swim a blue hole is no more dangerous then a swimming pool.No rip currents,no current at all actaully,clear water so you can see what your stepping on.I"d definitely keep a close eye on the two year old but by the time I was sixteen I was swimming the length of Union Lake.The state owns Union lake now,I"m sure they'd hop in a boat and come out to give me a ticket for that now.
Because of the sudden drop offs and the 10 to 15 degree drop once you go under plus there have been deaths there

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Well sudden drop offs don't affect people that can swim,if You can't swim you should be in a pool or life guarded beach and not a blue hole.The 15 degree drop is like six feet underwater.Your already drowned at that point and I have never had that small of a drop throw me into shock. I still believe that swimming holes aren't dangerous,peoples lack of swimming ability,unsupervised small children and alcohol around deep water on the other hand can be very dangerous.I don't need to be protected from myself.

Reactions: dogg57

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
LOL :D

"As the undercover officers entered the area and before enforcement action was taken, some of the violators interacted with the undercover officers. They warned the officers telling them, "Be careful, the rangers are in the area and they will write you up." The officers thanked them for the warning"

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Rangers busted my son in law riding ATV's in Bevan that way once.Put a young hot female ranger out on the trail acting like her ATV was broke down.When the guys pulled up to offer assistance and maybe get a phone number the other male rangers pulled out of the bushes behind them and blocked them off,actually circled them.That was maybe ten years ago.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Rangers busted my son in law riding ATV's in Bevan that way once.Put a young hot female ranger out on the trail acting like her ATV was broke down.When the guys pulled up to offer assistance and maybe get a phone number the other male rangers pulled out of the bushes behind them and blocked them off,actually circled them.That was maybe ten years ago.
thats pretty low

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Fish and Game use to go undercover in the barrens and central Jersey when they had the extra man power years ago. I came across a few conservation officer friends who would try to remain in "character" when I was interacting with them. I would bust their chops and question why they were acting like goofballs with me.

That picture is not the blue hole in the story. When did the state buy the old quarry on the other side of piney hollow road?
I took a ride out there yesterday for the first time. Did not know it was part of Winslow WMA till I saw the WMA signs.
Lots of trash, people where swimming and look like some where camping.

I was trying to figure out what that picture was, knew it definitely wasn't the Blue Hole or Penbryn Lake...

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Had the same thing happen to me in Wharton by Burnt Mill & Sandy Causeway. I was on a legal dual sport and they were disappointed LoL. May have been around the same time, was awhile ago. Used to see rangers all the time back then...

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
That area is where this video is from. The person that recorded it tried to claim it was in Pennsylvania. Someone named Dave driving. Pinelands tags.