winter '07 on the Batona Trail

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_2456s.jpg

Simply the loveliest of nights; I gave the timelapse effect another go this evening, with a brighter moon, getting brighter results.

Bill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Nice one Bill. Out late again :)

Guy

Yeah. A little late. :)

My boys were along last night -- a little basic training for future "all" night adventures. The worst torture was making them stand still for a minute at a time while I attempted to take some portrait shots.

IMG_2468s.jpg

Below is a 1.5 minute exposure taken just above the Beaver Pond section of the Mullica River.

mullicariver.jpg

Last, having camera fun through the windshield while sandroading back to 206.

IMG_2480s.jpg

IMG_2476s.jpg

IMG_2767ss.jpg

DaveMcL

Oct 18, 2007
West Philadelphia
Apple Pie Hill/Night Sky

Great shots, Bill! I've yet to be in the pines at night, but I certainly will be soon after seeing these shots.

Anyone know if the tower on Apple Pie Hill presents a good option for some night horizon shots? I climbed up there on my first trip into the pines. Took some night sky shots (30-minute exposures) up in the hills of North-Central PA a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm hooked.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone know if the tower on Apple Pie Hill presents a good option for some night horizon shots? I climbed up there on my first trip into the pines.

The main problem with Apple Pie Hill is there is always someone coming and going. Each time I have been there someone comes.

Guy

DaveMcL

Oct 18, 2007
West Philadelphia
The time I went up the tower was during the fires this summer, and there was someone up top with a radio. Is the "hatch" to the top always closed? Don't get me wrong, it was still a great view from the stairs going up...

I'd imagine you could get a great view of the sky from almost anywhere, but can anyone think of any other good spots to get a nice landscape/horizon view of the pines?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
The time I went up the tower was during the fires this summer, and there was someone up top with a radio. Is the "hatch" to the top always closed? Don't get me wrong, it was still a great view from the stairs going up...

I'd imagine you could get a great view of the sky from almost anywhere, but can anyone think of any other good spots to get a nice landscape/horizon view of the pines?

I'm thinking Apple Pie Hill gives the best all-around view of the horizon in the barrens. On clear days and nights, one can make out the skylines of Philadelphia and Atlantic City; plus the 360-effect is overpowering. Try some photos from the Apple Pie Hill, Dave. Guy is right, there's a constant flow of traffic heading there; it's rare when I've been able to get the place to myself. Having folks around shouldn't interfere with photoshooting, though; except that step-climbers might rattle the tower during long exposures.

Spring Hill is a location that offers nice horizon views, but you have to move around the area to gain views in alternate directions.

Manumuskin and I did some wandering around Oswego Lake last Saturday night. A nearby bog had some wild fog action going on, so we directed the headlights of my truck over the water and I came up with the photo below. I s'pose only a night owl like myself can appreciate stuff like this.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/556/medium/IMG_2803s.jpg

I'm going to have a go at some nocturnal lake and meadow photos under the full moon next weekend at Makepeace.

Bill

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Manumuskin and I did some wandering around Oswego Lake last Saturday night. A nearby bog had some wild fog action going on, so we directed the headlights of my truck over the water and I came up with the photo below. I s'pose only a night owl like myself can appreciate stuff like this.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/556/medium/IMG_2803s.jpg

Bill

That.. is very cool. A very surreal quality of an animal's nightvision.
I like it, thanks!

g.

ChrisL

Oct 18, 2007
Whippoorbill and everone, very nice photos. I went to the photobucket at the first posting and after the barrens, there is a band. Can I ask who is in the band? The first photo was blurry and I thought the guitarist was Warren Haynes.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Whippoorbill and everone, very nice photos. I went to the photobucket at the first posting and after the barrens, there is a band. Can I ask who is in the band? The first photo was blurry and I thought the guitarist was Warren Haynes.

Chris,

Yikes; I'd forgotten about the initial post on this thread, which is supposed to link to additional Batona Trail hike photos. I need to reorganize my bucket so the music photos are separated from the barren shots. The latter photos are still there, but on following pages.

The band you're inquiring about in the photo is synthesist Chuck van Zyl (Penn's WXPN Star's End program host) and Art Cohen, guitarist, both of The Ministry of Inside Things. These were taken at my home, as the guys come here to perform what have so far been beautiful sunset concerts every summer. The photobucket site is loaded with photos of other rather obscure musicians playing live as well (Robert Rich, Jeff Pearce, Ian Boddy) -- names I'm sure no one here has heard of; but each is a great, innovative musician nonetheless.

Bill

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ

My wife and I have been there a couple times when it's been opened and occupied. Both times, the person allowed our group to enter and explain what he does each shift. It was pretty neat, from what my wife told me. I can't make it past the 4th level of the tower, so I've never been to the top or inside.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My wife and I have been there a couple times when it's been opened and occupied. Both times, the person allowed our group to enter and explain what he does each shift. It was pretty neat, from what my wife told me. I can't make it past the 4th level of the tower, so I've never been to the top or inside.

Physically can't ...... or.......... can't?

Guy