Winter weather forecast

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I have not seen that particular doc but I have seen almost all of this guy's videos, documenting life as a logistics team member at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station and at McMurdo. He has overwintered on the South Pole base several times, when there is 24 hour darkness, gale force winds, and the temperatures can be on the order of -70F with wind chill well over -100F. The base is actually very nicely equipped and I don't think I would at all mind living and working there myself, for a time. I very much recommend it.

Two of my favorites are his video on the SuperDARN scientific radar, because of the amazing aurora photography he was able to get, and his video on the "Ob Tube" at McMurdo, a viewing platform underneath sea ice.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
14 degrees here right now which is as low as it got overnight, no power problems. For me, the real story is how short the whole event will be.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 7.28.34 AM.png

Apparently, Mount Washington in New Hampshire is the place to be if you like it chilly.

"In addition to the potential for minus-100 degree wind chills, Mount Washington might find itself in the stratosphere Friday night as a lobe of the polar vortex barrels southward. The atmosphere becomes more compressed as it cools, meaning that the boundary dividing its two lowest layers, the troposphere and the stratosphere, known as the tropopause, will sink in altitude."

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have not seen that particular doc but I have seen almost all of this guy's videos, documenting life as a logistics team member at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station and at McMurdo. He has overwintered on the South Pole base several times, when there is 24 hour darkness, gale force winds, and the temperatures can be on the order of -70F with wind chill well over -100F. The base is actually very nicely equipped and I don't think I would at all mind living and working there myself, for a time. I very much recommend it.

Two of my favorites are his video on the SuperDARN scientific radar, because of the amazing aurora photography he was able to get, and his video on the "Ob Tube" at McMurdo, a viewing platform underneath sea ice.
I love the exploring books on men of the past; Shackleton, Scott, Byrd, etc. I have this one in my library and plan to read it again. Great stuff, highly recommend it. Don't get put off by the lower reviews, they are from people who could not stomach having to know men had to eat the dogs and other harrowing survival stuff like black feet from frostbite. The book 'Shackleton' is also a great one.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No danger of frostbite here as the warm weather continues. Next few days in the upper 40's/low 50's and then a big warm-up later in the week.

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60.
Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Thursday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 66. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Thursday Night: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 56. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.