Winzinger Update

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Some of the new members may not know about this, so here is a little background and an update.

Robert Winzinger is trying to open up a sand mine that he had abandoned in the 1970’s. This article will give you a little info.

Winzinger.JPG

He has been working hard to comply with the rules to open his operation again, which would be historical review, environmental test, etc. The location is along Lauries Road just off of route 72.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.83...13&t=h&z=14&g=39.837786,-74.436707&iwloc=addr

I have not been down Lauries Road in a while; however, today while stone searching with Jessica we did. He now has the plastic protectors encircling the complete area where his operations are planned. How far this means he has come to beginning operations I am unsure of. But it must mean he is moving along.

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I know that area and pit very well. There is some nice uplands woods in there, very wild and thick behind the pit. I used to assume it was part of Greenwood WMA. Fair is fair but I sure wish it ended up as part of Greenwood.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That thick and wild woods was a result of him bulldozing the area back in the 70's. It has grown back quite thick. Jessica and I walked completely across it last year at quite a cost to our bodies. You can see where he cut in the 1995 aerials quite well. And on the ground you can see where he pushed the mounds of dirt around. The plastic now follows that area.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Those look like snake drift fences to me........probably surveying for snakes. Lots of critters are going to die as a result of this...ashame.

My question is I know t/e species live there I've seen them. Now if one of these species is on the property they should receive protection according to the pinelands act. Because this guy is grandfathered does that mean none of the rules apply?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

How many stones will be lost if and when he is finished?

Well, the stones are half on his property, so if he damages them he is damaging the adjacent property. I doubt there will be a problem but one can never tell.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Those look like snake drift fences to me........probably surveying for snakes. Lots of critters are going to die as a result of this...ashame.

My question is I know t/e species live there I've seen them. Now if one of these species is on the property they should receive protection according to the pinelands act. Because this guy is grandfathered does that mean none of the rules apply?

If they are snake fences, there is not a capture area in the section I walked. And they are not as secure as the one Al and I found. A snake could get by this one. I should have checked it out more, but I stayed by the road.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If they are snake fences, there is not a capture area in the section I walked. And they are not as secure as the one Al and I found. A snake could get by this one. I should have checked it out more, but I stayed by the road.

Guy

That is key to this. He doesn't want to find any, and even if he does, the state will just transport them outside the fence like they did for the Stafford Development. A tragedy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I honestly don't think it is a snake fence.

Guy