WMAs closing areas

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you don't have Facebook here it is.

Due to the unprecedented unauthorized use of several portions of the Wildcat Ridge, Greenwood Forest, Winslow, Cedar Lake and Menantico Wildlife Management Areas, six localized areas are being closed to public access to protect the public, Conservation Police Officers and the surrounding habitat. Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 23:7-9 and N.J.A.C. 7:25-2.26 the emergency closures will be effective immediately and run through September 15, 2021. Unlawful entry into the areas carries a fine from $50 to $1,500. Maps outlining the closures can be found here: www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2021/wma_closures21.htm.
Northern Region – Wildcat Ridge WMA (Rockaway Twp., Morris County)
• A posted area along Splitrock Reservoir (commonly referred to as the cliffs) within the Wildcat Ridge WMA, starting approximately 8/10 of a mile north of the western side of the dam at Splitrock Road along an unmarked trail that follows the shoreline terminating ¼ of a mile past the area of the cliffs.
Central Region – Greenwood Forest WMA (Ocean County, two separate areas)
• A posted area commonly referred to as Parkers Pit within Greenwood Forest WMA: all Division of Fish and Wildlife property within the area beginning at the intersection of Rt. 539 and Bryant Rd. and following Bryant Rd. to its intersection with Jones Rd.; along Jones Rd. to its intersection with Cooks Rd.; along Cooks Rd. to its intersection with Rt. 539; along Rt. 539 to the starting point at Bryant Rd.
• A posted area commonly referred to as the Clay Holes within Greenwood Forest WMA: all Division of Fish and Wildlife property within the following roads and boundaries beginning at the intersection of Lauries Rd. and Woodmansie Rd.; travelling southeast on Woodmansie Rd. to intersection of Clay Mine Rd.; North on Clay Mine Rd. to its intersection with Bloody Ridge Rd.; West on Bloody Ridge Rd. to the boundary of Greenwood WMA and Woodland Sand Company; follow boundary of Greenwood WMA and Woodland Sand Company to intersection with Lauries Rd.; follow Lauries Rd. to the starting point at Woodmansie Rd.
Southern Region – Winslow WMA (Winslow, Camden County)
• A portion of Winslow WMA commonly referred to as Winslow East or the Hot Mix section: all Division of Fish and Wildlife property within the boundary beginning at the intersection of Rt. 322 and Piney Hollow Rd.; north along Piney Hollow Rd. to its intersection with Folsom Rd. (Rt. 73); southeast on Folsom Rd. to its intersection with the Camden-Gloucester County boundary; south along the Camden-Gloucester County boundary to its intersection with Rt. 322; west along Rt. 322 to the starting point at the intersection with Piney Hollow Rd.
Southern Region – Cedar Lake WMA (Monroe Twp., Gloucester County)
• A portion of Cedar Lake WMA commonly referred to as the Sand Plant: all Division of Fish and Wildlife property within the boundary beginning at the intersection of Jackson Rd. and W. Piney Hollow Rd.; north on W. Piney Hollow Rd. to Rt. 322; east on Rt. 322 to Cains Mill Rd.; south on Cains Mill Rd. to Malaga Rd.; south on Malaga Rd. to E. Reading Ave.; south on E. Reading Ave. to Lake Ave.; south on Lake Ave. to Jackson Rd.; west on Jackson Rd. to the starting point at W. Piney Hollow Rd.
Southern Region – Menantico Ponds WMA (Millville, Cumberland County)
• All Division of Fish and Wildlife property identified as the Menantico Ponds WMA and the access road into the area from Route 49.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They basically closed off Hidden Lakes, and the sand pit near Howardsville.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Reactions: RednekF350

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One reason for this may be manpower issues. Anyone have other idea's?

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
The dirtbike riders (lots from over the bridge) are a real problem in some areas. So are the partiers who leave piles of trash. Instead of stepping up enforcement and hiring additional conservation officers to patrol the areas, their solution is to close it to everyone. How typically NJ.

Menantico Ponds is one of my favorite places. I guess I'll just have to start parking on the other side by Wade Blvd. Won't be able to bring my kayak in by car though.

Reactions: Pan

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
The dirtbike riders (lots from over the bridge) are a real problem in some areas. So are the partiers who leave piles of trash. Instead of stepping up enforcement and hiring additional conservation officers to patrol the areas, their solution is to close it to everyone. How typically NJ.

Menantico Ponds is one of my favorite places. I guess I'll just have to start parking on the other side by Wade Blvd. Won't be able to bring my kayak in by car though.
I'm thinking by the way this is written you can't be in these areas until after 9/15 regardless. So no driving, dragging or throwing your kayak into Menantico

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
They basically closed off Hidden Lakes, and the sand pit near Howardsville.
The pit is commonly called 539 pit, lately the yellow gates to access the 2 roads to the pit have been closed. Guy, did you notice if they were still closed when you were out there last week?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They were open. Actually, I have never viewed them closed. Granted, I don't go down that road as much as I did in the past.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
That just seems so wrong.
Its the same thing they did in Wharton with quarter mile with one major difference. They are using the roads as boundaries to call out the area, the difference is these areas are now posted "closed to public access" which means to me no one is to be within the boundary that is set for any reason. In Wharton the area was closed to motor vehicle traffic only.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I like this quote from the state " six localized areas are being closed to public access to protect the public, Conservation Police Officers and the surrounding habitat"
Protect the public from what? Themselves?

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Fortunately, the one area in Greenwood is not a place I go much, and the other I have extensively walked. So it will not effect me in any way. For the most part I would say not many individuals other than illegal riders will be effected by the Greenwood closures.

I feel sorry for those of you who legally use Menantico. You really are getting the shaft.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin