Wolf Dog in the Pines

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
A few weeks ago, my friend and I were camping out in the pines and we were approached by what we thought was a wolf. It was very large, with thick, white fur (some patches of brown on its back). The animal was also very healthy looking, unlike the most of the coyotes I've seen out there.

My friend and I have both encountered coyotes while camping before, but had never seen a canine this large in the wild before. And believe me when I say it was large (perhaps 150 lbs or more). I've mentioned this encounter on another thread but I figured I'd throw this out there for everyone to enjoy.

Another member on this site suggested it may be a wolf dog hybrid, and I believe that person right.

WolfDog.jpg

This image I found online looks just like the dog I saw out there in the pines. The dog we encountered wasn't aggressive, so I wouldn't worry about being randomly attacked while hiking. However, the dog was huge, and I believe there is a large population of them living out there.

Here's a link to the site I got the pic from:

http://www.apetsblog.com/dogbreedinformation/wolf-dog-hybrid.htm

I always have my camera with me while camping, but of course when this dog came near us, it was tucked away in my pack. although honestly, I was so mesmerized by the appearance of this dog the last thing i was thinking about was taking a picture.

The dog approached us right after we had finished making breakfast (about 10 am). We had heard howling and yipping continuously throughout the night (assummed it was coyotes) and we also heard ice cracking and breaking all night around us. We had camped out on a peninsula right by the water.

In hind sight, my friend and I both believe we had actually camped in the wolf dog's den and all night they were walking around us, probably wondering who stole their spot.

This encountered had made by love for the pines increase 10 fold. It was amazing to see a random animal that we didn't even know existed out in the pines. The danger of coming across a wild pack of wolf dogs has definently enhanced my enthusiasm for camping out there.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
Camden county, but very close to the border of Burlington county.

It happened right by the Great Swamp area, east of Rt. 206.