Wolves

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I hear they ain't critically endangered no more. That means we git to shoot 'em now, right!?

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
46 er, don't mean to go off on a tangent ; can't resist - 1st Coyotes ,then Moose now canis lupus .No chance of Cougars ? :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My opinion, no. They need a lot of land; area NJ does not have. We might get a wanderer, as in NY. But it stands no chance crossing I80, I287, I78, I95, I295 or the AC xpressway :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Why doesn't it stand a chance?Deer get across the roads everyday and they are nowhere near as bright as a wolf.Of curse a few don't make it as well but a wolf is much smarter.Moreso even then a dog I'd wager.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Can you imagine the sound of a wolf howling in the pines! I heard 'yotes singing away near Carranza one night and just thinking of it gave me goose bumps. It is a lovely sound to hear.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Why doesn't it stand a chance?Deer get across the roads everyday and they are nowhere near as bright as a wolf.Of curse a few don't make it as well but a wolf is much smarter.Moreso even then a dog I'd wager.

Was answering Joc, about mountain lions.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well the best ones I have seen were in Warren County, NJ. At the Lakota Wolf Preserve. Enjoy it very much they do a great job and He can get them to howl for you.
http://www.lakotawolf.com/index.htm

I am headed up that way tomorrow. What is the set up with them? They say there is a chain link fence, in your opinion, would that hinder photo's? They charge $300 for a picture taking session, which is way out of my ball park.
Got this photo out west.

18949862.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yes, your photos will be hindered by the chain link fence. When we went last year we called and made reservations because it was during the week. Jim and Becky, who I think are the owners, gave a great tour that lasted a little more than an hour and a half. We were group together with a small school trip, but it wasn't bad at all. The guides kept all of us interested. A highlight was when Jim started howling and the packs joined in. There is hiking involved but it isn't bad, just wear good shoes because of the rocks. I will like to give warning - Taylor Camp has the rudest staff and don't expect much from them. The tour starts from the camp ground office but the preserve has no asscociation other than leasing land from them. All in all it was a nice day and wasn't expensive. Don't forget to stop at the Village Farmer and Bakery to get one of their award winning pies and of course Hot Dog Johnnies. (The bakery is on Broad Street, Pennsy side of the Water Gap.)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Been to Lakota too,great place and by the way 46er I seen a Mountain Lison on the Mullica in 78.I know I'm not a biologist so I don't qualify to know a mountain lion from a deer but degree aside i really can tell the difference even at 14 years of age.
ps,maybe it was deer in a tree?