WOODLAND — Scientists are working to restore bogs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is why if you have not been there yet you should go. It never will look the same.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Where is the preserve located is it off Route 70. I would like to go check it out, if anyone could provide general directions I would appreciate it. Thanks
Chris

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
dragoncjo said:
Where is the preserve located is it off Route 70. I would like to go check it out, if anyone could provide general directions I would appreciate it. Thanks
Chris

In response/addition to dragoncjo's post, where is the best place to park and enter the preserve? I've driven past the signs in Chatsworth many times but without a general knowlegdge of the preserve itself, I'm not sure the best place to enter to walk around.

Any thoughts?

Peace,

J.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are multiple piece of property that Garfield DeMarco owned and sold to make the Parker Preserve. Here is a partial photo of a map they had at the dedication ceremonies for the Parker Preserve.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1532-1/IMG_4260.jpg

The way I access the bog section is on the dirt road at the curve at Chatsworth Lake. Now there is a slight problem with doing that is they have a gate across the road now. But I have written them and they allow foot traffic so I just walk around it. I did this before the gate was closed so they may not want you in that way anymore. There is a small rancher on the road that someone is living in, so it you do go that way you must respect their privacy. I keep quiet, keep my eyes looking ahead, and walk.

They told me they are going to make an access road off of 563 just south of Chatsworth in the future, and that is the way I would suggest you go in. Leaving Chatsworth heading south on 563 the first bogs on the right you come to are part of the Preserve.

There are many more places you can go so check out the map on their website. It is small so you have to check it carefully.

http://www.njconservation.org/html/gfa-pinebarrens.htm

Guy