World water monitoring day

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
In which I allow myself to be one of the students, and thank the Pinelands Commission.

I try to get involved in my kids activities as much as time permits in school
and with my daughter now in middle school new faces, teachers, and topics abound. Field trips can often be fun. I love seeing and enjoying the kids I've been around for years now and now we take it to the next level. In case any here did not know (I didn't) September 18th to October 18th people all over the world test their waterways on many levels and enter the findings to a global database. Cool!
Check this out for fun.
www.worldwatermonitoringday.org
That said, when the offer came up looking for chaperones for her life sciences field trip, and it was to be Batsto... 'nough said!
Out of work, great day, Batsto and a lot... of 12/13 age kids. Here we go.
First off when we hit Batsto I ran into our old friend Terri who works there, always with a smile, hugs, and greetings!
In reality, the kids were great, many I knew and new fun faces. Their Science teacher is a young, energetic girl with a real passion for our environment, ecology and has a genuine willingness to share and inspire children.
While I like guiding the kids around, this day was a wonder for me as some really great folks from the Pinelands Commision headed up the "workstations" for this trip at Batsto. There are a lot of folks that gripe about their hindered efforts in home and building issues with "the pinelands this" and "the pinelands that" attitude as if this orginization is the devil to building. It can be a pain but if you share a day like this you see some really intelligent folks with a true dedication to their trade and our delicate Pine Barrens world.
These folks got the kids involved, kept their interests, were great speakers, and good educators.
For fairness to their efforts I'll thank them by name.
Joel, Nick, John, Paul, Ed, Ernie, & Jeanne.
I'm pretty good on the history and know enough about the flora and fauna and ecology of the region to be dangerous but today I truly became a student again and learned a good deal more. I can't even relay it all but man the natural science part of the Barrens is great stuff.
Well look, I've got tons of pics but I can't really put up some of the fun and specific pics I have. Putting up pics online in any way of other folks kids is touchy in my mind and I wouldn't want someone else throwing my kid's pics all around.
The following are real generic shots of some of the events of the day.
Nick was a great speaker on water testing and water quality, data reporting
WWMD_008.JPG

John and Paul reallly had the best part for the kids though. They were the cool dudes that got the kids in the water. Hint, waders don't do jack to keep kids dry. They want...to...get...wet.
WWMD_010.JPG

WWMD_030.JPG

WWMD_028.JPG

WWMD_036.JPG

WWMD_038.JPG

Those two guys were great and shared a lot of relevant fun fish facts withthe kids. I really have some fun shots of wet kids, the girls are the funniest but again have to hold back.
Ernie and Jeanne did a great job of defining Wetlands, water table, soil layers, run off, clay formation, etc.
Here's Ernie showing layers from a core sample and showing some fellas what they're looking for when coring.
WWMD_054.JPG

WWMD_055.JPG

One depiction I did not show for lack of a good shot of it was this fellow Ed with a really great mock up of watershed and resource planning. The group leader I suppose, Joel, gave the speech on the sawmill, industry, and light history of the place. We also visited the nature center. This was a winner of a field trip. Mansion looks to be coming well by the way.
This was a really great day all and my head is still swimming. Most interesting to me was the girl, Jeanne's explanations of characteristics and unlikely signs defining a wetland. My thanks again to the Pinelands commision. Check out their site and see what they're about instead of just thinking of them as a pain in the butt.
Thanks for reading. Hope the pics were fun.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is pretty cool George. I think this kind of program, in addition to being fun for kids, parents, and probably the teachers also, is the most powerful tool for ensuring preservation efforts in the pinelands and nature in general.

Jeff