xbox & playstation

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I was wondering if there were any adults here who played xbox or
playstation II ? My oldest son who is 16 is really into the xbox playing such games as Halo and Gears of War. He is much better then his friends and needs tougher competion. At this point I am unsure just how many adults are really involved with this past time.
Suresue

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I have a PS2. Currently loving God of War 2 & Guitar Hero 2.
Never played XBox, although I'm considering getting a 360. Have no desire to get PS3.
I also have NES, Super NES, Wii, DS, and Gameboy Advance. Used to play a lot, but now I have no time. Wii is probably my favorite system ever.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Etch-A-Sketch was my last "video" game.
My sons grew up with all of the latest greatest games but I could not get interested.
They still mess with Play Station II on rare occasions.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Etch-A-Sketch was my last "video" game.
My sons grew up with all of the latest greatest games but I could not get interested.
They still mess with Play Station II on rare occasions.

I'm betting you are forgetting PONG and TANK from the neighborhood bar you wasted your youth on.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I'm betting you are forgetting PONG and TANK from the neighborhood bar you wasted your youth on.

Actually Bob, the Gibbsboro Tavern (my hometown bar) had only a pinball machine and a pool table. The pool table was taken out long before they closed.
The Old Ship Inn in West Berlin (now Oceanos) was my favorite hangout.
They had two pool tables, regular and bumper pool, shuffleboard and darts. No electronic devices.
Even the cigarette machine had manual pull handles.
Ahhh, the good old days.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Actually Bob, the Gibbsboro Tavern (my hometown bar) had only a pinball machine and a pool table. The pool table was taken out long before they closed.
The Old Ship Inn in West Berlin (now Oceanos) was my favorite hangout.
They had two pool tables, regular and bumper pool, shuffleboard and darts. No electronic devices.
Even the cigarette machine had manual pull handles.
Ahhh, the good old days.
Scott

Yes, when a quart of Bud (cold) was 55 cents, draft in 7 ounce glasses was 20 cents, pretzel rods were 2 cents, gas was 37 cents, and a pack of marlboro 35 cents.

West Berlin? You now live, what, 3 miles from 206? Did you live in the same area then? How far did you travel to get to the Old Ship?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yes, when a quart of Bud (cold) was 55 cents, draft in 7 ounce glasses was 20 cents, pretzel rods were 2 cents, gas was 37 cents, and a pack of marlboro 35 cents.

West Berlin? You now live, what, 3 miles from 206? Did you live in the same area then? How far did you travel to get to the Old Ship?

I lived from age 0-24 in Gibbsboro.
Age 24-25 in Atco.
Age 25-48 and counting, in Pestletown.
The Old Ship was only 2 miles outside of Gibbsboro. (good crawling distance)

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I live within falling distance to the Old Ship(I mean Oceano's)
I wish it was still a bar. Where was the Gibbsboro Tavern Scott?
I enjoy Ott's and (Gary's) Old Town Tavern.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I never evolved beyong Sega Genesis. I still feel most at home with regular ol' Nintendo.

Around 1995 I could probably name just about every NHL hockey player from marathon sessions of Sega hockey. You could take a slap shot from center ice and it would squeek by the goalie every time if you knew the spot.
Jeremy Roenick, Mike Gartner, and Eric Lindros were unstoppable in that game and Bob Probert kicked anyone's ass!

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Around 1995 I could probably name just about every NHL hockey player from marathon sessions of Sega hockey. You could take a slap shot from center ice and it would squeek by the goalie every time if you knew the spot.
Jeremy Roenick, Mike Gartner, and Eric Lindros were unstoppable in that game and Bob Probert kicked anyone's ass!

There are so many different sport games out now for all the systems. Madden had an entire series. Even Tony Hawk the skateboarder had his own series of games. My kids went through most of them. I used to think what a waste of time! But during a trip to Washington DC while trying to navigate the train station, I was in for a surprise. Me and my exhusband were at a lost trying to figure out the electronical direction display of the train schedule. My oldest son argued with us concerning what train to take in what direction. I wasn't listening to him because I figured what did he know? The only train station he had ever been exposed to was the NJ Transit. Well, he had that scheduled figured to a tee! He grasped it so easy and dominated the whole travel experience, thank God! When I asked him how he knew how to navigate, he said he knew it form one of his playstation games! Apparently, the game had an identical set up. I am going to have to ask him just what game it was. suresue

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
games

I'm glad my son is older and a little past video games now. We go out and shoot pool, where I can actually have a remote chance at winning. Typical for over 50 I guess, but I'm pretty clueless at video games.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I live within falling distance to the Old Ship(I mean Oceano's)
I wish it was still a bar. Where was the Gibbsboro Tavern Scott?
I enjoy Ott's and (Gary's) Old Town Tavern.

Tom
The Gibbsboro Tavern is on Berlin Road at United States Ave.
Coming from Berlin on 561 take the Berlin Road fork at the bottom of the hill to the paint factory. The tavern is on the left.
Under the canopy on the Berlin Road side were gas pumps when I was kid and a small candy store called Rudy's just inside the door. I remember gas being 32.9 cents a gallon there and my father refused to buy it because everyone else was 28.9 cents.
The candy store was later converted to a small liquor store and became part of the bar.
The tavern has been boarded up for a long time and last operated as a pizza restaurant.
The bar was a neat place and one of the few places where the clocks displayed "factory time".
Factory time was 10 minutes ahead to get the paint factory workers back in time for the whistle.
At lunch time the stools were set with favorite shots and beers at around 11:58 a.m.for the factory men who would come pouring in.
My father was a union wireman and worked nearby and he would meet me there for lunch on Fridays occassionally when I was little.
I would ride my bicycle up and meet him there.
They really were the good old days. :)

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Tom,
I work within staggering distance of West Berlin Ott's and it is an enjoyable spot for weekday lunch stops. Not Weekends. I believe if you check you will find their clock's on "factory" time even today.
Sorry to join in on Hijack. I lost any real interest in gaming systems years ago. I even try to keep it real limited for my kids. There are enough computer games available.

g.

Monkeywrench

Feb 10, 2007
OC / Philly
Suresue,

Not much of a gamer but when and if he lives at college he'll find people to play against. Halo has an online thing going for it.

I too grew up playing Sega Genesis, and never got interested in any other system after that for the most part. There were a few playstation games I played (GT1 & 2, Spyro), but it all really ended after that (around 14 years old?). My parents never let me or my siblings play video games on schooldays (except friday) and sunday night. I'm now glad they did that (I went outside instead of sitting inside after school)

Oct 25, 2006
My son who is 20 is heavily into playstation 2,he would love to have the playstation 3,but $600 for the system,$60 games,another system is the xbox 360,$400 and also high priced games,the console system that impresses me the most is the nintendo wii,alot cheaper and very interactive,i have owned every game system since the nintendo 2600,but the new systems that i stated i have never owned,i am defintely though into computer gaming.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Of course my son Nick (21 now) was into the games and was very good. But for some strange reason, I beat him every time in Doctor Mario. I was good at that game, and no other. Go figure.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have a playstation 2. I don't have the time to play anymore but I loved all the "puzzle/action" games, driving and fighting games too. In the puzzle type games it felt like you were in a movie, neat! It does take time away from more important things though, moderation is the key.

Jeff

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Of course my son Nick (21 now) was into the games and was very good. But for some strange reason, I beat him every time in Doctor Mario. I was good at that game, and no other. Go figure.

That's like my mom. The only games she could ever get into were Tetris & Dr. Mario. Anything else she had absolutely no interest in. She beat me every time in Tetris too.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Suresue,

Not much of a gamer but when and if he lives at college he'll find people to play against. Halo has an online thing going for it.

I too grew up playing Sega Genesis, and never got interested in any other system after that for the most part. There were a few playstation games I played (GT1 & 2, Spyro), but it all really ended after that (around 14 years old?). My parents never let me or my siblings play video games on schooldays (except friday) and sunday night. I'm now glad they did that (I went outside instead of sitting inside after school)

I never thought about the college idea. My son will be taking the placement test a ACCC this summer. Therefore, he will be having the opportuities you have mentioned. He had a family member which they were doing the Halo thing online, but that fell through. You know family...LOL