Ye Great Cedar Swamp

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
First visit to this in Dennis Township. While it is vast and beautiful, the cedar quantity does not live up to it's name. But, they are overall larger and taller than ours here north of the Mullica.

This track took several hours to navigate. I did not want to go too far as I had no car at the other side. The start was Petersburg Road.

I'm open to someone voluntering to do the entire crossing with me. Park a vehicle at both sides. Take about 7 hours I reckon.

1713973897102.png

This size is common.
1713973972084.jpeg

When you are outside of the Cedar area, it's gum, swamp maple, etc. Makes you feel like you are in the land time forgot.
1713974083057.jpeg

The reason the below orchid was delisted is because it's way more plentiful than people thought.
1713974261029.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Like seeing you branch out to some new areas. The southern barrens or barren like doesn’t get enough attention.
Yes, I'm getting a deep orientation to Middle Township. The main artery route 47 is a livesaver. Plus, there are enough Parkway exits to get me close to where I want to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragoncjo

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way, when I first entered the swamp, a person started firing a loud weapon that sounded like a shotgun. It was very close to me, I thought. In about 20 minutes he fired 40 rounds. I suppose he was reloading. At one point he fired 14 rounds without reloading. When I did my round-about walk back onto the road, I could see targets in his backyard. They were human silhouette targets, about 75 feet behind his house. He turned out to be only 500 feet from me.

• Wow
Reactions: dragoncjo and Boyd

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I have walked to the center of the swamp but never completely across. The large stand of cedar just north of your proposed route can be accessed from the sod farm. The Great Cedar Swamp is a fascinating place, especially north of Rt. 550 Oceanview-Woodbine Road. The cedar shingles for Independence Hall came from the swamp. After the initial harvest of the live cedar took place, settlers "mined" ancient cedar logs preserved deep in the swamp's muck.

The remnants of old villages and train stations still exist in The Great Cedar Swamp. It's a fascinating place but not easy to visit.