Yellowstone's version of ATVs

B

bach2yoga

In late 2000, following years of study, the National Park Service, then under the Clinton administration, moved to ban snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks. But in 2002, with the Bush administration in office, the Park Service reversed course and sought to overturn the ban, citing promises from snowmobile manufacturers that they would produce quieter, less polluting models.

The Park Service's studies -- including one completed just weeks ago -- show that unless snowmobiles are barred they will continue to pose a health risk to visitors and staff, cause harm to wildlife, and mar visitors' experience with noise and spoiled views. But in lieu of an all-out ban, the agency is proposing just a few inadequate restrictions. A central part of the proposal is a program to certify that snowmobiles for use in the parks meet pollution and noise standards. But even though it turns out that some 2004 models don't live up to manufacturers' claims -- they produce between 40 percent and 213 percent more pollution than in 2002 -- and don't meet the new standards, the Park Service is nevertheless certifying them for use this winter. The Park Service plan won't solve the problems caused by snowmobiles. A ban will.

» TELL the National Park Service to ban snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I seriously doubt that snowmobiles are going to ruin Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Sure they're loud and pollute, but so does my lawnmower. So do all of these jet skis. Lets ban them too.

It's just one group of people who want to keep another group of people out and creating excuses. Why would this years 2 stroke engine be any different than last years?

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I seriously doubt that snowmobiles are going to ruin Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Sure they're loud and pollute, but so does my lawnmower. So do all of these jet skis. Lets ban them too.

It's just one group of people who want to keep another group of people out and creating excuses. Why would this years 2 stroke engine be any different than last years?

It's not necessarily--it's just that the makers were required to impove their emissions, etc., and they did not--in fact, some are worse than before. Go ahead and use your mower, Ben, you don't live on a national park. But if you used more native landscaping you wouldn't need to mow as much. :p

It really is a multifaceted issue though, it's not so much that they are just loud and noisy, but the fragmentation they cause, which is a critical issue with animals that need wide ranging territories. (though there is debate about how many bison are too many!)

Besides, Yellowstone is a national park--it just isn't the place for snowmobiles. Yellowstone receives a lot of attention because of the immense effort that has gone into restoration ecology there, restoration that was necessary because of environmental fragmentation caused by man, and solely by man. Grizzly, wolves, and bison, and snowmobiles??? You realize we are not talking about a small number of them right? But many, many--from residents to tourists renting them to outfitters giving several day excursions on them? Though truthfully, I'd think I would be less concerned about the outfitters who use set areas than people renting or using them on their own.

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I agree with you that the makers of these products should work to curb their emissions just like regular automakers do.

The point is, though, that it is a national park. All of us pay taxes that go towards the upkeep of this area and therefore should be allowed to use it. Unfortunately instead of punishing the manufacturers, you're punishing the people who are supposed to be able to enjoy these natural areas.

The more people you exclude from these national parks, they less likely they are to submit to giving up money to support them.