Young folks interested in hiking/camping/canoeing/etc?

I was looking for a club to join, but couldn't find one to meet my needs. Therefore, at the suggestion of someone on here and others, I started my own. The club, temporarily called the Outdoors Club because we haven't thought up a creative name, will be centered around hiking, camping, canoeing/kayaking, backpacking, biking, and climbing. We'll start by doing things in the pines, because its close and convenient as well as great place to hike/canoe/camp, and will spread out if things go well (maybe do some backpacking on the AT, white water rafting in PA or WV).

We are looking for people who are at least 18, with a good topping out point probably being in mid to late 30s. Amateur? Expert? Doesn't matter, we have plenty of both. Equipment? No equipment? People are happy to share, although you should own boots or really, really sturdy sneakers. Guy? Girl? Both? Neither? That's all fine too. There is no membership cost, no cost whatsoever unless we need to get a camp site or rent canoes, in which case we'll all split the cost up evenly.

If you're interested, feel free to post or send me a private message! So far we have twenty people who are interested...

I'm not worried about babies, I'm worried about following trail markers ;)

Besides, none of you want to be babysitting some of the people I know. I took some of the folks in the club canoing last August, I couldn't believe the obvious things that some of them didn't know (like, put cell phone IN the waterproof bags, that's why we brought them)... :bang:

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
mike - i'm in . i'm 28, so i guess i'll be an elder of the club ? :D.. don't rule out the old guys and gals. hell some, ok all of the ppl i know that are down w/ the pines the most are over 40.. c'mon now . let's all sit around the fire and sing ... and grunt like tim allen.

just out of curiosity why just "young folks" the more mature folks have many tales of woe i would love to hear :)

Let me begin by saying that far more than half of what I know about camping, the Pines, nature, history, and related areas came from older folks who'd been around to see it, mostly through Scouts, but also through here and Barry's list, so all you people who are older than me, you are great! Depends, wheelchairs, and all!

This club started with friends and friends of friends, got about 20 people so far (not including folks on here), aged 18 - 28, all either college kids or recently out of college kids, so yea, that's a lot of kids going out to do stuff in the woods with other kids.

Maybe do an njpinebarrens camping trip when it gets warmer in April? I'd be all for a hike, a fire... :guinness:

We could bring extra prune juice for those that need it... :dance:

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
call it what you want, but at age 28, most of my friends are older than me.. ALL of my riding buddies are older.. 35 and up. aside from my dental school colleagues, a lot of ppl my age annoy me. maybe i'm 28 going on 40. who knows, don't care.. i have fun w/ what i do and who i associate w/. even the kayak club i belong to, mostly 30's and up. if its a bunch of young party heads, i'm out.

I can promise that it's not a bunch of party heads, as I'm not a drinker myself. Besides, drinking and many outdoor activities (especially canoing) are a terrible combination. The club was started by myself and few friends for young folks to go do some fun outdoors activities. Quite a few of the members are friends and friends of friends who simply haven't had the exposure to the joys of canoing, hiking, biking, and camping (and, time and interest willing, backpacking, white water rafting, rock climbing, etc). I've been lucky enough to be exposed, love it out there, and if I can share that with some young folks, then great! I decided to post on here in case there were any young folks who would be interested in participating. If there are, great! If not, then no harm done :)

That is not to say that I hate old people or have anything against them! Hanging out with people who have been kicking around this planet a while longer than I have is great too, and I've been on some wonderful outings out in the pines with people on this board and Barry's list. The Asbsegami Yesteryear trip a few years back was amazing if anyone else was on that, Jerseyman led a great tour of Cherry Hill last year that I made. I've met some great folks that share my love of the pines, and there are plenty more out there, old and young. If there is interest in doing a board hiking or camping trip, then I've got boots, a tent and a sleeping bag, when are people free?

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
i've always wanted to go on a hike to find that "swamp monster" .. aka the old crane that is stuck out in the pines that i've heard so much about. i've already found the plane landing gear wreckage at bear swamp hill. i've never been to calico, nash's cabin (burned down now right?), or the town of martha. and isnt there an evans mansion or something as well ?

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Hmmm. at 36 I might make the cut but my GF is 44 so I guess that would exclude us. Oh well.:(

You old guys are more than welcome to come canoeing with me. No trip to short. I can even lend you a dry bag for your personal needs.:D..........Mike