Young folks interested in hiking/camping/canoeing/etc?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
[q]Originally Posted by MikeBickerson
Besides, drinking and many outdoor activities (especially canoing) are a terrible combination.[/q]

I've found in the past that the equation: duck blind + not too wet + friends + liquor in flask = good times is true for the complete range of input values.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
MikeBickerson said:
Besides, drinking and many outdoor activities (especially canoing) are a terrible combination.

As long as you know your limits and take your bottles/cans with you, I see no problem with it. Did you have a bad canoe/drinking experience, Mike?

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
[q]I've found in the past that the equation: duck blind + not too wet + friends + liquor in flask = good times is true for the complete range of input values.

As long as you don't add a gun to the duck blind part of the equation.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Wish such a thing existed on LI. Whenever I go on group hikes I'm usually the youngest one there and I'm 31. Most people are 50 and up, I guess the young ppl on LI would rather go party in the city or hang out at the mall.
Doesn't seem like the woods are a place to meet anyone 'round here.(esp females) Now OTOH the city has alot to look at, but no pine trees.:D

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I'm 48 and am often the youngest member of the hikes I lead with the county. They hike my butt off too. One gentleman who participates on almost all of our canoe trips is 96 (maybe 97), brings his own canoe and usually manages to stay at the head of the group. Years ago getting older bothered me. Now these folks constantly make me feel like the best is ahead.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I'm 48 and am often the youngest member of the hikes I lead with the county. They hike my butt off too. One gentleman who participates on almost all of our canoe trips is 96 (maybe 97), brings his own canoe and usually manages to stay at the head of the group. Years ago getting older bothered me. Now these folks constantly make me feel like the best is ahead.

Yeah sometimes I have trouble keeping up with them. I dont go on these hikes that much because I like to stop and take pictures, they don't.
It must be rough canoeing in winter though, with the ice and all.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Yeah sometimes I have trouble keeping up with them. I dont go on these hikes that much because I like to stop and take pictures, they don't.
It must be rough canoeing in winter though, with the ice and all.

We haven't done a winter canoe trip in years. We have too many beginners sign up to risk it. I've taken my own canoe out during duck season enough times though. Ice thicker than skim ice is the only thing that stops me.

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
the winding river unwinds me

Friday, feb 29, was the last short paddle i took it was great there wasnt any ice it was cold but not too bad. There is just something about canoeing in the winter that tickles my fancy dont know what it is but all my stress seems to melt away especially when i get to watch the sunset along the treeline from the river i am itching for summer though the water looks so inviting!