Your Forest Under Attack: Road Closures in Wharton State Forest

John E.

Oct 4, 2011
Northwest of Philly
Excellent job Ben! Although I don't spend much time in the Pines, being from PA and all, I would be very upset if they tried pulling the same stunt up here. The actions of a few spoil things for the majority.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

bill417

Dec 10, 2007
I love the Wharton State Forest. I have always respected it. I feel its unfair that I am losing my privilege and right to ride around out there. Its very unfair.
They say they have no money to provide more Police in Wharton. Well, with that being said.Who is going to police all these signs and roads to make sure no one is riding down them? It doesnt make sense to me. There are going to be a vast number of roads closed. Do they honestly think a stick with a sign on it is going to stop everyone?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do they honestly think a stick with a sign on it is going to stop everyone?

They don't. I was told that when someone damages something in Wharton the judge will ask if the individual had some way of knowing they should not have been there. The answer was no and they got off. Now with a map and road closure signs the judge may now find them guilty. So apparently quite a few individuals were either winning their cases or the state realized they were wasting their time until they came up with a plan.

Greg OBrien

Scout
Mar 22, 2011
It's not a public road on public land... it's a CLOSED road on the STATE'S land.

"Know your place, you ignorant tax-payer..."

This is the road to my old bowhunting spot from 20+ years ago, closed (permanently) to allow repair and 'healing' from motorized damage. It hasn't changed in 20 years, probably hasn't changed much since Joseph Wharton's family sold it to NJ in 1954!

Attachments

• 20150729_180748.jpg
    20150729_180748.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 584

JeepWagoneer

Scout
Jul 31, 2015
Medford NJ
I was able to get a loop through the woods in after work today. Seems to me they've specifically started by closing roads and vehicular access points to water, and many of launch points used by locals with canoes and kayaks who prefer to avoid the crowds at Quaker bridge on the weekend. Coincidence? Or private entity with private business interest In canoing and kayaking in the pines lobbying in the typical corrupt jersey style to control access to the water?

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I was able to get a loop through the woods in after work today. Seems to me they've specifically started by closing roads and vehicular access points to water, and many of launch points used by locals with canoes and kayaks who prefer to avoid the crowds at Quaker bridge on the weekend. Coincidence? Or private entity with private business interest In canoing and kayaking in the pines lobbying in the typical corrupt jersey style to control access to the water?
"The PPA claims to be non profit yet they own Pinebarrens Adventures. All those vans pulling canoe trailers all day long in wharton. All that noise, dust and wear and tear on the roads and they are up in arms about the very same thing they are doing."

Outdoorgirl

Aug 2, 2015
Mullica
We went to Basto today to inquire about the closing of roads today and they confirmed . Also said that, it was to protect the habitat and to preserve nature. Although Mr . Rob was unavailable to answer any questions, we asked how this could be done without public input.. They had no answers, my question is this, how does cutting trees down across the roads not 1 but several justify their argument of preserving the Forrest? Something must be done!
How can you not make the public aware of these changes ? Dirty ! Dirty!dirty !
The lady at basto said they were in the process of printing maps.. This is insane!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We went to Basto today to inquire about the closing of roads today and they confirmed . Also said that, it was to protect the habitat and to preserve nature. Although Mr . Rob was unavailable to answer any questions, we asked how this could be done without public input.. They had no answers, my question is this, how does cutting trees down across the roads not 1 but several justify their argument of preserving the Forrest? Something must be done!
How can you not make the public aware of these changes ? Dirty ! Dirty!dirty !
The lady at basto said they were in the process of printing maps.. This is insane!!

We feel your pain. If you go back and speak with Mr. Rob Auermuller make sure you tell him what you said here.

Guy

Outdoorgirl

Aug 2, 2015
Mullica
Oh no doubt!!! We have already sent emails also! My taxes are way too high to deal with this B.S lol...
I know there's a meeting tonight at Vincetown Diner, maybe we could set something up and get something going! Hunting season is upon us and I want the older folks I have had a privilege meeting over the years to be able to continue . And the families to be able to explore with their children and make memories ! There has to be a solution!!

Reactions: Ben Ruset