Youth Turkey Hunt Saturday, April 22

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Please provide Lat/Lon or State Plane Coordinates for location.
Thanking you in advance.
:)

That would be difficult, as we were moving at around 55mph between Toms River and Stratford, and there were 2 here, 4 there, etc. :cool:

What is a State Plane? Prop, jet, glide, fixed wing, bi-wing?

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Lone bird on clarks landing rd today and another in the plowed field on chew rd. Few weeks ago saw the largest flock ever on hopewell rd just north of Raymond.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
They are always abundant in my area… Lenape Farms, Maple Lake and Peaslee WMA's. How far do they range? Can they end up many miles away from where they were born?

They do have quite a range Boyd and in my woods they make brief appearances while searching for food.

The key to successfully hunting them is scouting daily to make sure they are frequenting the same place and "putting them to bed" at night. Putting them to bed involves finding their roosting spot and being very close by the next morning for fly down. An owl call or crow call blown at dusk will usually trigger a shock gobble to help you pinpoint their location just before they go to roost. You can also slam a car door and trigger a shock gobble.

My kid has been scouting for the last two weeks and will scout nearly every night until the season ends. I am more dumber and usually hunt the same place every year because we killed birds there a few times. I also hunt areas that are not close to home and not convenient to scout after work.

Here is a very informative article from Penn State on the wild turkey:

http://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/turkey.html

Reactions: Boyd