You've heard of a bug zapper....

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Are they saying this is done on purpose or is it just incidental and unavoidable? Lord help any hang gliders that go over head? Imagine the smoke plume that would leave?These things work like a magnifying glass and concentrate sunlight to a point? I have experience starting fires with that first hand,wouldn't want to fly into it,it doesn't take long to ignite.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Are they saying this is done on purpose or is it just incidental and unavoidable? Lord help any hang gliders that go over head? Imagine the smoke plume that would leave?These things work like a magnifying glass and concentrate sunlight to a point? I have experience starting fires with that first hand,wouldn't want to fly into it,it doesn't take long to ignite.

Incidental, not sure it can be made avoidable.

Yep, concentrate the sunlight on a big boiler that runs a generator producing the electric power.

Good Lord it is ugly looking. There are 3 of them, roughly a mile across each. The yellow line is mine for measurement, 11,140 feet. Take a GE look and zoom in, I'd hate to be the guy that has to clean the mirrors.

157037208.jpg