Capewell Glass Negative Collection

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thank you for posting this image! Howell Living Farm has an event showcasing the use of horses in ice cutting operations on their pond. The farm's draft horses working the ice is an awesome sight! The special care and equipment needed was a surprise, especially the range of the horse's "winterware".

-A period short film of ice cutting operations and how horses were utilized. Take notice of the ice skater and the specializeded horse shoes.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...m_ice_harvest_pocono_manor_1919.ogv.360p.webm

Reactions: Willceau Illo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great photo and the usual great info from Jerseyman! You don't see a frozen Delaware much anymore.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I was recently at both historical societies and Jerseyman is correct. I cannot post the CCHS unless I have prior permission. However, I can post GCHS. Let me go through my photos as I took a picture of everything. I'll see what I can come up with.

Guy:

Yes, other photographs of the wreck do exist. For example, the Camden County Historical Society holds a couple of photographic prints in its graphics collection of the wreck and I believe the Gloucester County Historical Society also possesses some images of it.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Thank you for posting this image! Howell Living Farm has an event showcasing the use of horses in ice cutting operations on their pond. The farm's draft horses working the ice is an awesome sight! The special care and equipment needed was a surprise, especially the range of the horse's "winterware".

-A period short film of ice cutting operations and how horses were utilized. Take notice of the ice skater and the specializeded horse shoes.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...m_ice_harvest_pocono_manor_1919.ogv.360p.webm

Attached is a picture of the ice house at Howell.

image.jpg

I also am attaching the school house in what it looked like in 1895, my treat:). image.jpg

Modern-day schoolhouse on the Howell property grounds.

I enjoy it there as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 292

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Willceau, I checked out your blog today. I am flabbergasted. I am obsessed with Washington Amusement Park. I have written a few articles on it and Billy "The Duke" Thompson, the owner. I have even located Billy's gravesite and gone hiking in the Wheelabrator Wildlife Refuge that a portion of the park once resided.

I was out in Pittsburgh and they have a small scale replica of one of Ferris's Wheels which was at the Chicago World's Fair. It was rumored that it resembled the Ferris Wheel at Washington Park. Thank you for sharing your pictures to the world! This is a delight to see.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Terrific! I know of a few narrow mountainside lanes like the one captured and do same thing the sleigh riders are doing, hug the inside shoulder. The stacked fence on the steep slope must have been interesting to build on such a steep pitch.