Here comes the hot weather

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just hit here about 10 minutes ago. Continuous lightning, couple of power hiccups. Should be gone shortly. At least the heat will be gone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a big storm in Bamber Lakes right now. Just saw it on TV.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That looked like a nasty, fast moving storm on radar. The sky was flashing here and I heard the thunder. But it was North of me. Still dry as a bone here, didn't get a drop of rain last night.

At least it didn't get up to 102 degrees like they had forecast, the high was "only" 95. But it was a hot night, without any breeze. Still about 85 degrees at 11:00 PM last night.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Entered the 20th century last Thursday when the electric service was restored after 7 days out. Returned to the 21st just today when the phone & internet wires were repaired 11 days out. In retrospect I have no complaints. Atlantic Electric and Comcast did a splendid job under difficult conditions. I still hug trees too!

S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mark,

You are too nice! I would have been furious that my internet service was out that long.

Guy

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Guy,

Outages are part of the Pinelands experience. This is still a rural place. Neighbors help each other. We don't expect too much from government, but got a lot anyway. Public works was out cutting with chain saws just as the storm passed around 2:00 AM. At 6:30 AM their loaders opened my road.

Storm 2.jpg
Main Avenue looking south beyond the edge of my property just before it reopened.

By end-of-day, it seemed as if all Township roads were passable, even the dirt ones. This was a remarkable feat considering the amount of trees down.. By the next day, the municipal hall had ice and bottled water (donated by Shop-Rite) free to residents. The fire hall had a hose running for bulk refill.

Water.jpg
A large sign in the village along US Route 40 letting folks know water was available.
This is why we are willing to fight hard to preserve our Village.​
S-M​

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It seems things went as well as can be for everyone.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It is a scorcher today. The ambient air temperature, from the temp sensor on the machine I use at work, registered 115 degrees in a pasture by New Egypt around 2:15 PM. When the humidity is factored in, it is just awful. Hopefully, the weather will take a turn for the better this evening, following the passing of the storms. I can't hydrate enough. I'm consuming over a quart an hour and still feel sluggish. July has swapped August for hot and humid "dog days".

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I hope we get some rain, none of the other storms have come down here since the "derecho" and it is really dry. Hopefully no more falling trees though! There are still crews working all over the area today, doing more permanent fixes to the things they quickly patched up before.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are breaking up. That always seems to happen anymore.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
So, how do you know that August isn't going to be even more hot and humid? ;)

Good point, but I don't think it can get hotter or more humid than it was today. Can it?:( Hopefully not. It isn't fun when the weather is like it was this afternoon. The change is drastic now that it is raining.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
There was a big cell that appeared to be heading right towards me. Somehow, it managed to zig-zag around me while soaking areas just a couple miles to both the North and South. I had about two minutes of very light rain. Didn't even make the ground wet.

But I see a lot of other stuff brewing to the West, and the forecast has a higher probability of rain for Thursday - Friday, so hopefully something will hit us. But I'm not going to complain too much right now, because the temperature has dropped about 10 degrees here over the past hour and that feels great. :)