Raised trail?

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
I am familiar with lidar maps. Boyds maps in particular have been very helpful in exploring deeper into some of my favorite areas of the pines.
Recently I came across a raised trail or berm in Double Trouble. Which was odd because it is similar to a lot of ditches or irrigation trenches, which is what I thought it was before I went and looked at it. It's east of Dover Forge and north of Cedat creek, but it goes arrow straight to the water.
What do you guys think this feature might be?
Screenshot_20231024_161921_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This appears to be the location of your screenshot

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.911414/-74.278587/lidar2022hd/0.00/0.00

But from your description, I think you're referring to the trail running (more or less) from North to South here, which is actually a bit East of the crosshairs in the screenshot?

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.910599/-74.278705/lidar2022hd/0.00/0.00

If you crank up the vertical exaggeration and play with the lighting controls in the terrain viewer you can clearly see that it's a raised trail, as you say. There are two holes along the East side, I can't tell if they're cellar holes or something else. Unfortunately, I don't know what it was and don't see any clues on historical topos or aerial imagery.

https://boydsmaps.com/terra/#39.910.../2000/887/-2000/54.25/4.9/3d/shader40/0/0/z17

doubletrouble.png

Last edited:

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
Yes. That's it. About 3 feet high and 3 feet wide. It's old enough that some pine trees are about a foot thick growing through it.
Love your maps!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is a very good question Dash. I lived in Bamber 38 years, just a few miles away, and I never realized that berm. Ditches are normal in the area, but that berm is a puzzle for sure.

Reactions: DashRyan and Boyd

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
I think there's an old blueberry field in that area. I can see them scraping the ground flat to set them in. Maybe that's the pile from using a bulldozer.
The blueberry field is closer to the dover forge trail than it is to this berm. I like the way you're thinking though. If it is a spoil pile or heap from cultivation, it sure is strait and regular. I thought it might be covering a drainage pipe.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
But here's a piece of the puzzle. See how it bends down into the creek, and then a possible canal shoots over to the old canal that used to be on the north side of Dover Forge Pond. maybe they used it to pull product via mule out of that lowland swamp.

1698376852313.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Like Ore Pond? It's certainly a closer source of bog iron, if that's what it was.
I've been in that swamp, and it has, up by the old forge, heavy orange coloring. So, yeah, maybe. There is a Dover Forge Ledger, maybe there is something in there that can be tied to that practice.

Reactions: DashRyan

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Do you think that part is raised as well?
I wondered the same thing, because it appears to be. Maybe it is, but perhaps they gave it a gentle slope too by building it a bit thicker at the base. I can see that slope area in my mind; heavy on the mountain laurel, inkberry holly, maybe a pine, dangleberry, and greenbriar. At the bottom, sphagnum, northern long sedge, collin's sedge, red maple, black gum, perhaps high-bush blueberry, swamp magnolia, and usually Walter's sedge scattered about.

Reactions: Menantico

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Do you think that part is raised as well?

I made the terrain viewer just to answer questions like that! :) Hold the right mouse button down and move the mouse from left to right to rotate the 3d view. Now try running the vertical exaggeration slider from left to right to stretch everything vertically. You can easily see what is raised. This is the advantage of 3d versus a flat map view, where it can be hard to tell if something is a "mountain" or a "valley". Playing with the lighting controls can also help you see details that aren't visible in the flat map view where the lighting is always the same.

This is a zoomed-in view with the vertical exaggeration set to the maximum. This kind of distortion makes a relatively flat surface look like the grand canyon, but can be useful in examining details that you otherwise might not notice. (again, remember this link is not compatible with phones, you need a computer)

https://boydsmaps.com/terra/#39.909...0/-676/887/-1521/54.25/10/3d/shader40/0/0/z17

Last edited: