Raised trail?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
And note how using the slope map, there is a steep portion. Maybe this is just showing the slope of the berm side where they built it up.

1698419372128.png

Reactions: DashRyan and Boyd

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
I made the terrain viewer just to answer questions like that! :) Hold the right mouse button down and move the mouse from left to right to rotate the 3d view. Now try running the vertical exaggeration slider from left to right to stretch everything vertically. You can easily see what is raised. This is the advantage of 3d versus a flat map view, where it can be hard to tell if something is a "mountain" or a "valley". Playing with the lighting controls can also help you see details that aren't visible in the flat map view where the lighting is always the same.

This is a zoomed-in view with the vertical exaggeration set to the maximum. This kind of distortion makes a relatively flat surface look like the grand canyon, but can be useful in examining details that you otherwise might not notice. (again, remember this link is not compatible with phones, you need a computer)

https://boydsmaps.com/terra/#39.909...0/-676/887/-1521/54.25/10/3d/shader40/0/0/z17
Thanks Boyd, I'll have to check that out at home.

Reactions: Boyd
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
The blueberry field is closer to the dover forge trail than it is to this berm. I like the way you're thinking though. If it is a spoil pile or heap from cultivation, it sure is strait and regular. I thought it might be covering a drainage pipe.
Nothing like a good lidar mystery!

I like your pipe idea. Maybe water was pumped from the creek and delivered via pipe to the (blueberry?) farm at this point?:

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
But here's a piece of the puzzle. See how it bends down into the creek, and then a possible canal shoots over to the old canal that used to be on the north side of Dover Forge Pond. maybe they used it to pull product via mule out of that lowland swamp.

View attachment 21075
If you look closely at the terrain view, you will see that this feature continues in a straight line uphill to this point: https://boydsmaps.com/#19.00/39.909386/-74.278244/midatlidar/0.00/0.00

There also appears to have been a road on the other side of the creek: https://boydsmaps.com/#19.00/39.909672/-74.280087/midatlidar/0.00/0.00

I think this was a road with a crossing

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
There's plenty there, but nothing that specifically mentions any earthworks in the larger Dover Forge area.
What do we know,
The 1931 aerial photo shows it faintly.
Boyd confirms that it is indeed the same feature present today on the liar maps.
As of that time, the area was used as a cranberry bog. primarily to the west of the old forge/ village site.
What would the people there at the time need a raised berm that runs from the road to the creek for? The ground today near it is kind of swampy.
Was there a need to get to the tail end of the mill race?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I shot off an email to the Monmouth county Historical Society. Going to make an appointment to research thier collection.
I would suggest you ask if you can take photos. Almost all of everything I have collected over the years is digital and I have found that is my preferred way of collecting.

Reactions: DashRyan

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
I was able to bushwack my way out here on this fine November afternoon. The raised trail just ends. There's no clear continuation of it making the right turn seen on the liar. If you want to go, enter through the cultivated area, just past the Dover Forge gate. The drainage ditch will get you there easier than just bulling through the thickets.

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
If by canal you mean the straight line from the end of the raised trail to cedar creek, no.
If you mean the tail of the mill race rejoining the creek, then yes.
20231105_133202.jpg

Reactions: Pan