Sawmills

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes. One member here found a very large group of them but we have not determined if it is on private property. I am leaning toward the fact that it is, so we are basically not mentioning it. When I get some time I will have to go to the tax office and check on that. I don't see that happening in the near future at least by me.

I really would like to find the one near High Crossing and along Quaker Bridge road. The QBR one seems that it should not be very hard to find.

If I have not mentioned it before, the person who authored the article I posted passed on years ago, so we apparently are on our own in finding the ones he mentioned that we have not already found.

Guy

Folks:

This is a very interesting discussion and I enjoyed reading each and every post. Based on the variety of foundations found, combined with documentary sources, you could begin to establish time periods for these foundations based on their construction technique. Portable sawmills have been around almost as long portable boilers and engines (a.k.a. Donkey engines), which first appeared during the 1840s-1850s. A review of nineteenth-century trade catalogs collected at a repository such as The Hagley Library in Delaware would likely yield numerous engravings and woodcuts of such units. Advertisements in period periodicals would also provide a similar treasure trove of information. The introduction of the circular sawblade in the 1830s made such portable mills possible, combined with the movable power source.

According to the Robert W. Lesley's 1924 work, History of the Portland Cement Industry in the United States, Pennsylvania pioneer cement manufacturers began shipping cement in barrels out of the Lehigh Valley during the mid-1870s. However, cement did not receive wide acceptance as an engineering and construction material until the 1890s and into the early 1900s. Therefore, if you find a foundation constructed with brick and/or stone assembled with mortar, the foundation possibly predates, say, 1890. On the other hand, if you find a foundation cast in cement using a wooden form, I think you are safe to date it to post-1900. Of course, these time delimiters cannot be applied uniformly, for not all mill operators would have gone to the trouble of using cement when they had brick and mortar readily available.

The other technological advancement that occurred concommitantly with the common use of cement was the internal combustion engine. Suddenly, a sawyer could use a hit-and-miss engine or other similar type of cartable engine to operate his sawmill. In time, the sawmill operator could move his portable mill around with a tractor and then use the pto on the tractor to power a pulley and drive the sawblade with a large belt. The form of the foundation can provide clues on the size of the mill as well as the source of power, based on the size, shape, and mounting rod configurations found on location.

The Pines have endured several periods where sawyers have shorn the area of most trees, beginning with complaints in the eighteenth century of timber theft due to the paucity of trees. Aerial photographs from the 1930s reveal vast stretches of treeless landscape, dotted with random columns of smoke emanating from charcoal pits--another source of tree loss. The growth we now enjoy and call "The Pinelands" is no more than 70 years old for the most part.

Jerseyman

scriptor rerum Nova Caesarea
Dei memor, gratus amicus

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice post!

I would have to agree with 70 as the age of the pines as we know it. All of the notes of the surveyors in the mid 1800's that I have always talk about stumps..never trees. If we went back in time we would be somewhat surprised I think on what it looked like back then. Obviously, there are exceptions such as Jeff's tree.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman said:
Thanx, Guy!

I've been away too long and its good to be back. I see some old friends are now posting messages here, so I must say "hello" to George (LARGO from Pestletown), who greeted me warmly on Sunday a week ago.

Jerseyman

George did mention he saw you :)

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Incredible post Jerseyman !

Loved it!
Oddly enough I posted a little something on this out of text in another forum earlier today.Your post confirmed much I have been guessing about.
I've got the basics down & I thought my time frame was close at best but I figured someone on the site with better archeology knowledge would be able to fill in the blanks. I was fairly certain that because of the almost simultanious popularity of the engines and the concrete availability that some of these "cast" bases were older. Cracking one open is totally out of the question but I have to wonder if the bolts are simply embedded or J-hook style with other re-inforcements. Those practices would narrow down some of the ages of the bases I would think. I don't know from aggregate content & quality so I won't even go there, leave that to the pros.
I would not have thought the mortar & brick versions would hold up so well. I too, approached written pieces right down to parts catalogs of the period/post period. Tough work.
Well hey, again great post, thank you & pleased to meet you.

G.

LARGO:

Actually, a properly constructed brick and/or stone foundation is a substantial and solid base for attaching engines and/or machinery. When I worked on the Raritan & Delaware Bay Railroad Lakehurst locomotive shop archaeological excavation back in the mid-1980s, the stationary boiler and engine foundation featured all brick construction--as I recall, even the flywheel pit had a brick lining! If machinery is properly balanced, vibration is minimized and the brick absorbs much of the vibration that does occur. You'd be surprised at what a trained millwright can do with brick and mortar!!!

For the Pineland foundations, we are not talking about a long-term installation; only long enough to cut the marketable timber within about a one or two-mile radius before the sawyer would take up the mill and relocate it to a new stand of woods. I'm sure some of the sawyers would erect a shelter of some sort over the portable mills to protect their equipment investment. As the machinery aged, the owner's concern would diminish.

Jerseyman

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great post and info. Guy and I found a saw mill with the remains of a structure around it. Also, stay tunned, I am going to post a picture of something that I cannot identify, it sounds like Jerseyman might have more success. I need to take the pic first.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Another - an unlikely find.

Last week I spoke to my uncle at length over the issue of the stones and their purpose. This was with regards to the stone on the Fleming pike in Elm.
Strangely enough he recalled seeing another. As he did not know their purpose he never gave it any thought. He confirmed with me today one of the blocks, studs & all where he remembered it. It is about one block off the White Horse Pike in Elwood up by Weymouth road. I will try to get closer coords but it is on private property and he was not met well when he asked about it. I will try to be diplomatic in my approach but will respect it if the parties that own the property want no part of my presence.

G.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Found another one!!!!

Friday morning before work I took my motorcycle out for a ride. What a great day. Covered alot of miles in the pines. Anyway, found another sawmill platform. It is in a very secluded spot just west of the Oswego river. It is either the oldest one I have seen, or the wet environment it is in has accelerated it's age. I will have to show you this one Guy. I can try giving you directions but it will require a hike. The road it is next to is only accessable by motorcycle or foot.

Guy, also found a property marker that I wonder if you are familar with. IT is in the NJCF Franklin Parker preserve south Of 532, east of 563. It appears there is also an environmental investigation going on back there. The area is gated off. Looks like someone has been dumping chemicals again. Another superfund site perhaps. Didn't have my camera, sorry.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would be interested in seeing both locations Jeff.

What makes you think the fenced in area is an environmental location? Any evidence? The reason why I ask is that we have heard on these boards that they have fenced off some large area's of the PP for protection of plants and animals.

Also, you need to get that camera hooked to your bike or yourself!!!

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Guy, there was a sign on the fence saying that the area was under investigation by some environmental organization.

If you are free any morning this week let me know. for checking out the saw mill and stone

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
Guy, there was a sign on the fence saying that the area was under investigation by some environmental organization.

If you are free any morning this week let me know. for checking out the saw mill and stone

Sorry..I won't be free for a while. Weekdays are out and my Saturdays are also for a while. If that changes I will contact you.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Found another sawmill. I know we aren't posting locations anymore but Guy, if you are still keeping track, I believe I know of two that you have not recorded yet. Next time we are out I will show you or do my best to describe to you where they are if you still care. No rush, they aren't going anywhere.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Found, yet, another one! Right across the street from my house. I must have gone past it 100 times. It was very well hidden despite being close to a dirt road.
normal_sawmillgunclub.jpg

Jeff