Sawmills

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
daved said:
Sure will guy. So how many are known to be out there? If you could list gps coords for them I would appreciate I would like to see them. Also how many do you think are out there that were never found? I would like to find one that was never found. Time to dig out the gps I only used once before. Thanks Dave

Read the previous posts and I have given the cord of the ones I have visited. I have visited others but can't remember exactly where they were. I actually looked for the one on Quaker Bridge road on Saturday, but did not spend much time there. The article I posted talks about that one.

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
So I have gone through the posts and came up with these
1. Hawkins bridge sawmill 39 42.997 74 33.760
2. Broken arm road sawmill 39 55.589 74 28.681
3. West of 206 south of chew road sawmill 39 41.483 74 46.238
4. Near washington sawmill 39 41.183 74 33.108
5. Lebanon saw mill by tree rows 39 41.472 74 46.241
6. Sawmill off of carranza road coords maybe 39 46.112 74 35.432
7. Saw off of quaker bridge road about halfway between atsion and the bog? Coords maybe 39 44.302 74 42.344
8.saw mill near godfreys bridge no coords. But I will get them next time I go by there
8. Sawmill at sandy ridge no coords
9. Sawmill in pennswamp near high crossing no coords.
10. Sawmill between buckingham and upton station 100 ft. From tracks near bogs possibly van note camp no coords.
I believe that was all that was posted and if I missed some I'm sure somone will add to the list and if anymore are found please post for us
Dave

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I bet there is one somewhere between Buckingham and Gravel Switch. That's the general location of Van Note Camp, run by one of my ancestors.

Apparently when Beck visited all that was left was a rusting boiler.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Godfrey's Bridge and Near Washington are one in the same, unless you know something different. I did post the coordinates of the Carranza Road at Sandy Ridge. They are one in the same I believe. So I think you have two doubles.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am sure there are many of them hidden out there waiting to be found. The one at Hawkins Bridge had not seen the light of day until we hiked by it and Bob stepped on it. It was completely covered with years of vegetation which is why all of us walked right by it, except Bob :) A nice find!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Are there pictures of each of these sawmills? If so does anybody object to me using them and writing up a quick article for the front page of the site?

I have photo's of all of the one's I visted. I believe they are all posted. I will collect them and post the links.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
sawmill near godfreys bridge

I have pics of the sawmill near godfreys bridge but have no way of posting as of now. So the saw mill at sandy ridge is the one off of carranza road?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
daved said:
I have pics of the sawmill near godfreys bridge but have no way of posting as of now. So the saw mill at sandy ridge is the one off of carranza road?

Unless you know of another one.

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
So the one near godfreys bridge; near washington; and the one on broken arm road are all the same one correct? Coords 39 55.589 74 28.681? Or 39 41.183 74 33.108?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
daved said:
So the one near godfreys bridge; near washington; and the one on broken arm road are all the same one correct? Coords 39 55.589 74 28.681? Or 39 41.183 74 33.108?

I have 39°41.306 74°33.181

If you come up with a different one, get back to us on that.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
daved said:

There is one that I posted about on the Old Fleming pike in Elm.
I would say it is one of the farther edge ones of the pines. Sorry not to post coords but it is on private property. I have pics but no digital.
It is more worn than others posted and not mossy.
I have a stong lead on a person of resource for good solid info on these mills, I hope. Will advise only if it is a valid source.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
LARGO said:
daved said:

I have a stong lead on a person of resource for good solid info on these mills, I hope. Will advise only if it is a valid source.

G.

Nice! Thanks.

guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As some of you know, the cedar beams in my living room were cut right in front of me at the Double Trouble sawmill. It was running on a diesel engine in 1984. I can still smell the cedar on the inside of the mill. Fabulous! The photos of the dogs holding down the logs are familiar as well as all the belts. I wish I had taken photos. I'll bet water power was a lot safer and cleaner.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Cleaner, yes. More economical? No.

Switching to steam (and later gas and diesel) would have made it much easier to operate a sawmill almost anywhere, as evidenced by the numerous cement bases people have been finding recently.

What interests me is the fact that Double Trouble's mill was pretty substantial and is still around today, while all of these other mills seem to have been pretty transient.

Maybe these weren't sawmills per-se, but lumber camps.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
There is still a semi active sawmill about 1/4 mile north of the Pic on 206. At least it was active the last time I paid attention.
The guy who runs it is known as Spike. ZZ Top's cousin if anyone has ever seen him in the Pic.
A couple of friends of mine who run tri-axles used to get their dump body top boards rough cut by him out of oak.
He does or did white cedar too.
Scott

RednekF350 said:
There is still a semi active sawmill about 1/4 mile north of the Pic on 206. At least it was active the last time I paid attention.
The guy who runs it is known as Spike. ZZ Top's cousin if anyone has ever seen him in the Pic.
A couple of friends of mine who run tri-axles used to get their dump body top boards rough cut by him out of oak.
He does or did white cedar too.
Scott

A guy I work with got cedar fence posts from him recently.

Steve

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Does anyone have a notion as to the time frames that these "portable saw mills" would have been in action? I always kinda thought they were probably early 20th century. At how early a date was concrete used? I also imagined these were probably deisel powered and not steam (this is just a guess) which would make the date a little later. I'm just guessing - does anyone have anything a little more solid?